wireless connectivity oddity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a BThome hub downstairs front room with 2 desk top pc's upstairs at back one get's 54mbps the other gets 1mbps i bought an aerial for network card (asus) and it went up to between 36-54mbps but is now back at 1mbps.Is this a network card fault or a BThomehub wireless problem

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If one PC is connected at 54mbps then I doubt it is the homehub. What is the signal strength like? Does moving the PC help?

Hi

I have taken the laptop int the room and it fluctuates between 1mbps to 54 mbps and its only 5 feet away.

When you open the wireless connection properties (or manufacturers specific software) you should be able to see signal strength in a bar. I'm still thinking network card/aerial as the other one is OK. If you jiggle the aerial about a bit does this effect it? Maybe loose connection?

Sponsored Links
MasterAbacus said:
Forget the wireless and run some cat5e cables.... saves the hassle....
Forget posting useless advice - saves the hassle. :rolleyes:

tally100 said:
Is this a network card fault or a BThomehub wireless problem
We has one free sent to us by BT and I have to say it was nowhere near as good as our old hub, poor signal and it's now on the shelf doing nothing!

Softus said:
MasterAbacus said:
Forget the wireless and run some cat5e cables.... saves the hassle....
Forget posting useless advice - saves the hassle. :rolleyes:

Why is that useless advice ????

Its my opinion.... a cabled connection is not only faster, but more secure then any Wifi Network. (FACT)!!!!

MasterAbacus said:
Why is that useless advice ?
Because it's not a reasonable proposition for the OP to ditch the equipment he already has, which largely works, just because he has a not-too-uncommon problem with one of the WLAN adaptors.

This forum is about providing solutions to problems, not providing glib responses that trample over the desires of the person needing the help.

Most routers have RJ45 LAN outlets, So if a user is constanly having problems with a wireless connection then why not use wired?

Wireless can be interupted by many household items, Washing machines, Microwaves, Tv`s, cordless phones etc etc....

Hence if its a problem the wired version is a fix... is it not?

MasterAbacus said:
Forget the wireless and run some cat5e cables....
Most routers have RJ45 LAN outlets, So if a user is constanly having problems with a wireless connection then why not use wired?
Hence if its a problem the wired version is a fix... is it not?
Is this an attempt to modify your original advice, where your suggestion implied replacing all wireless interfaces with wired ones? Are you now suggesting that just the troublesome connection be replaced?

I actually posted "Forget the wireless and run some cat5e cables.... saves the hassle...."

Ie implying to this post and a problem with a wireless conection, so NO im not changing my advice, but maybe making a little bit clearer to some who might not be so technicaly minded.

at the end of the day, why mess around with a wireless connection if its constantlly causes issues, ie loosing signal, when its a fixed pc (as in post). Cat5e is easy to run / route around anyhome.

Also as in this post, the user could run one cable from the Router to a hub, then attatch both computers to the hub with fly leads... to save running two cables from the router.

MasterAbacus said:
I actually posted "Forget the wireless and run some cat5e cables.... saves the hassle...."
You've missed my point - you wrote "some", and yet only one wireless adaptor is being troublesome.

Ie implying to this post and a problem with a wireless conection, so NO im not changing my advice, but maybe making a little bit clearer to some who might not be so technicaly minded.
You are changing your advice, because later you wrote "a" wireless connection.

Unless of course you made a mistake in what you wrote?
If so, have you made any other mistakes in what you've written?

at the end of the day, why mess around with a wireless connection if its constantlly causes issues, ie loosing signal, when its a fixed pc (as in post). Cat5e is easy to run / route around anyhome.
No it bleeding isn't. You either have cables where you don't want them, or holes through walls, or both. And women don't like seeing the cables. And it takes ages to run them compared to installing a wireless adaptor. :rolleyes:

Also as in this post, the user could run one cable from the Router to a hub, then attatch both computers to the hub with fly leads... to save running two cables from the router.
If you'd wanted to be helpful and make life easy for the OP you'd have suggested Ethernet-over-mains.

Have you ever used Ethernet over mains? ??

You might as well use wireless... also where does the signal stop at?

Runs through ring main, and to where? you neighbours? . . . lol

Running cables is easy.... you cant tell me that taking your time and doing a good job and having a guarnateed connection rather than a flaky wireless one isnt worth while...

I know all about women and cables.... My house has cat6 from a central point coms / server room to every room in the house, it runs web / tv/ audio/ telephone / heating / curtians / kettle (her idea) etc etc...
40 runs were installed during a re-wire but an further 15 were added while we were living in the house, and had no problems, just lifting the odd carpet etc.... Also have a fibre run down to the garage.

And yes we have a wireless / blutooth network, but to be honest its hardly ever used, only for PDA`s and remotes.

P.S. all above work was done myself.

Now weve gone right off topic....lol

MasterAbacus said:
Have you ever used Ethernet over mains?
Of course. :rolleyes:

You might as well use wireless.
Not when the wireless signal won't propagate reliably enough. :rolleyes:

...also where does the signal stop at?

Runs through ring main, and to where? you neighbours? . . . lol
Very funny. The cracks in your knowledge are beginning to show.

It doesn't rely only on the thing you call a "ring main", and the ones I use have an encryption feature.

Running cables is easy.... you cant tell me that taking your time and doing a good job and having a guarnateed connection rather than a flaky wireless one isnt worth while.
If you're prejudiced against wireless connections then just say so, but it won't change the fact that it works extremely well in a lot of scenarios.

I know all about women and cables.... My house has cat6 from a central point coms / server room to every room in the house, it runs web / tv/ audio/ telephone / heating / curtians / kettle (her idea) etc etc...
40 runs were installed during a re-wire but an further 15 were added while we were living in the house, and had no problems, just lifting the odd carpet etc.... Also have a fibre run down to the garage.
I see. I wonder if all of that was in pursuit of "doing a good job and having a guarnateed connection", or whether you're just obsessed with technology for its own sake.

Sponsored Links
Back