Wireless Video doorbells.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting a video doorbell - one that you can answer from your phone even if you're not at home. Anyone got one? Any suggestions? Anything to look for/avoid?

Sponsored Links
Check Which? reports. Avoid ones that rely on a central server hosted in the cloud (when the supplier goes bust/gets bored it'll stop working). Check for security issues (many Internet of Things devices are easily hackable)

Been looking myself for one, and while working in a customers house he showd me the "Ring 2 Doorbell" that he has, and I'm going for that one now. Seemed very reliable, they cover it for theft, and looks decent. Pricey and if you want to save images of folk that have visited then you pay a small subscription each year. But deffo worth a look at.

Been looking myself for one, and while working in a customers house he showd me the "Ring 2 Doorbell" that he has, and I'm going for that one now. Seemed very reliable, they cover it for theft, and looks decent. Pricey and if you want to save images of folk that have visited then you pay a small subscription each year. But deffo worth a look at.

Large upfront cost and a sub - no thank you

Sponsored Links
I have had the Ring doorbell and now have Ring doorbell 2 fitted.
Why did I upgrade? After about 3 yrs, the first one, hard wired fell back onto its own battery pack. This can be seen, along with other info on you app. Talked to Ring via the free phone number. They picked up straight away and have done every time I've called. Very helpful people, I've no complaints. After trying what was asked, Ring sent me a free Ring doorbell 2.
The 2 has a removable battery pack, the 1 does not, and the 2 has a better camera. You can also buy a second battery pack if you run on it ( if you don't hard wire ) for a seamless change over when the first runs low, again your app will tell you. Yes you pay for 30 days of cloud video £25.
In the first year our Ring more then covered our costs when we could show the actions of a delivery parcel driver, we were fully reimbursed . I've chatted from Spain with no problems, very pleased with Ring.

Sounds like I sell them! Ring also do the door lock, one you can remotely open. I've no need for it but some might.
I think Ring is now part of Amazon, so big people..is that good or bad?
Either way, it's been good for us. Nice clear video with sound, live view as and when, a good app and well supported technical back up.
The Nest looks good as does the Ring, but Nest is about 50% more expensive .

I bought the ring 2 in the end. Easy to fit and very pleased with it. You get a 30 day free cloud storage trial with it and if you want to store video events on it and go back up to 60 days, the subscription £25 per year, not per month as stated in 75pete's post.

£25 a year seems pretty reasonable. i guess you just need to decide if it would be better to spend a bit extra and have a few more CCTV cameras instead.

I still haven't made up my mind!

Yeah, I've not decided yet. I have CCTV covering the front door so I could just search on the CCTV if I needed to see but for £25 a year, I like the convenience of it. You can still get motion and doorbell alerts on your devices as well as talk to visitors without the subscription.

Sorry, my bad. Should read 30days iCloud storage on a rolling 30 days for a yearly cost of £25. It was 60 days but now reduced.

I've the Ring Pro, and in my entirely "smart" home, this is the worst purchase I've made.

In today's society whereby a courier has 350 parcels to deliver, they neither have the the time or patience to wait around. By the time the Ring has alerted my phone and I've answered, they've long gone. And usually when I do answer, the audio is so poor its hardly worth it. I rarely answer when it does "ring" now.

The Ring Pro has a 1080p fisheye camera, which is ok. But in comparison to my 8mp cameras, its also pretty poor.

...and the doorbell performance has nothing to do with my connection(s) unfortunately.

It makes one wonder just how secure from misuse one's data is when personal items are stored on "The Cloud" and other internet data depositories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back