Wiring 2 lights from a fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I had some wiring installed by an electrician some time ago so that I could eventually hang pendant lights. I’ve just got round to doing it and I can’t seem to get it to work.

It’s two separate lights running from the same switch.

I have attached photos of both lights and how I’ve wired them up

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong please?

Attachments

• 189B3FFF-A549-43DD-982F-2FB4E77759D2.jpeg
    189B3FFF-A549-43DD-982F-2FB4E77759D2.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 9ACF43C9-72D6-4246-9A04-2DD9F63F3631.jpeg
    9ACF43C9-72D6-4246-9A04-2DD9F63F3631.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
do you have a multimeter ?
and know how to use ?

the insulation should go upto the connector and not be showing - high risk of electrocution , shorting , fire as shown
either the brown or blue (no idea which is live , depends on wiring ) may touch the metal if moving around - highly dangerous
the bare copper cables should be sleeved green/yellow

anyway
has this ever worked - how was it left with the electrician - on a separate MCB on consumer unit - how was it left safe after he/she completed the job ??? or how isolated ???
photo perhaps of the connections in the switch , in case they have the junction for neutral inside the switch box- otherwise would be a junction box somewhere else

please tell us that that is just temporary and you wont leave that amount of exposed copper from each terminal!! in the ceiling rose is one cable to/from a switch?

Hi thanks for the replies

Yes I will trim accordingly to ensure insulation is covered, I just did it like this to give myself some leeway as I knew I would need to try a few different ways of wiring as wasn’t sure which way was correct.

No I don’t have a multimeter but if you are saying that I have wired this up correctly then I suppose this might be my next step?

I have no idea if this has ever worked

I have tried replacing the fuse in the switch and get nothing.

Is this correct?

I have attached a photo of the switch as requested

Attachments

• 71913F29-C488-4613-AD17-9D2B1A107FD6.jpeg
    71913F29-C488-4613-AD17-9D2B1A107FD6.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
yep, multimeter probably needed now
the spur does look like its connections are like this

i'm assuming its fed L/N from that double socket - which is working OK - correct
and so Live/Neutral
goes into the supply side of the spur
then out as live neutral LOAD to the lights
and thats the only switch for the lights

as you say - Fuse maybe faulty - Switch maybe faulty - connection from spur to the double socket maybe faulty - no power on the double socket - some other connection between the spur Load and first LIGHT rose with the 2 T/E cables

so the 1st cable with 2 T/E cables would get the L/N and light and then that feeds the 2nd light - with one cable

Ok thank you. I have changed the fuse to no avail.

The socket works fine yes.

I was hoping maybe somebody could tell me I’ve made a simple error but it appears I now need to diagnose where the issue is.

Thanks

i think so
I would check logically - (can be shortcut ) - but in a logical order - to see if power 240V going into the spur and then when switched on if power 240v on the load output
if OK
up to the 1st rose and power 240v on those cables , and then the single rose has power 240v
multimeter set to AC - and probably has a 600V setting , often seen 200 and 600 options
Make sure you have the setting correct and know how to use
just a reminder - that investigating House electrics can kill

other members may have other suggestions
but as someone who has done a lot of DIY & House wiring in the past before 2000 , and professionaly qualified in electrical and electronic engineer - back in 1978 (and not involved professionally in house wring) this is my view ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back