Wiring 2 lights with 1 switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had spot lights put in one of our rooms, now the mrs doesn't like them (there's no pleasing them) and wants the old light put back in. Is it possible to wire both of them in so that they can be operated independently with one switch. There's not enough room to feed another wire for 2 switches without ripping the wall out. (don't mind fitting a pull cord switch to flick between spot lights and the old ceiling light, if need be). Is this possible? Thank you

Sponsored Links
ripping the wall out? You'd have to put a small chase in the wall, not pull it all down! You exaggerate, I think.

Why do you want two sets of lights? It'll be like B&Q's lighting aisle when you've finished.

The easiest solution would be to take the switched live from the wall switch into the COM of a 2-way pullswitch. Then wire one light's live into L1 and the other into L2. This solution will enable you to turn them on and off at the wall, and use the pullswitch to change between them.

You might be able to do this without 'ripping out the wall' as you put it. It all depends on how the existing lights are wired up and, in particular, how the switch wire runs. If there's a flat twin and earth running between switch and light, maybe you can use it to pull in a three core and earth.

Thanks for that Steve.
OK, it was a slight exaggeration, but the reason for keeping spot lights is that they look rather nice and I quite like them, and secondly, taking them out would mean filling the gaps and skimming the ceiling, painting etc etc, too much hard work.
I suppose I could just have the pull cord switch for one set, and wall switch for the other.
The reason for operating from the wall switch was that I have a remote control dimmer on that switch.

Sponsored Links
as space cat suggests if you can replace the T&E switch drop with a 3+E one you can use this to carry a permanent live and two switched lives solving your problem.

Steve, I'm going to put in a pull cord switch to flick between the 2 sets, can you please tell me how the other wires from light1, light2 and wall switch connect with each other?
thank you

You need to connect the switched live from the main switch to the COM terminal.

Connect the L1 and L2 terminals to the lives to the 2 light fittings. The thing to remember with the 2-way switch is that it flip-flops between L1 and L2 on each pull of the switch.

How you do this depends on the way your circuit is wired. If you need drawings to help you understand the lighting circuit there's plenty in the WIKI (top of forum in blue bar).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back