Wiring a BT Socket

Sponsored Links
If I put the same type of box back, wont it work?
It might.
It might not.
It might be the correct (older) type.
Or not.

One thing is certain - shoving wires into it with the wrong tool will cause damage. The cheap plastic shove and hope tools rarely work properly or more than once, and the correct tool will cost the same as a new socket which doesn't need any tools.

The master socket is the property of Openreach, and you are not supposed to remove it.
As it's already been ripped off the wall by some plastering buffoon, there are two options.
The proper official option is to have them replace it for £150+ and probably send the bill to the plasterer.
Or buy the correct one for £10 and fit it before they notice.

push the wires in carefully?
The wires need to be punched into the IDC terminals with a significant amount of force - which is why the plastic tools are hopeless.
The proper tool has spring loaded metal jaws.

BT Dropwire No.10, two pairs, orange/white and green/black.
Also known as CW1411.

Dropwire does not normally connect to a socket. The cores are too big for insulation displacement terminals connect to. There is usually a junction box first.

But if it is the master socket it is the property of Open Reach and neither you nor your plasterer should touch it.

Sponsored Links
Why did the plasterer chuck it out? More to the point why did you let him?
Did you think that you were not going to need the telephone line any longer?

You could use any socket there is a risk that old phones won’t ring.

Orange and white usually used.

I thought modern master sockets have gone to IDC for AB but maybe changed again for later ones!

Because it is not the right colours for a BT incoming cable.

Yes it is.

it is impossible to know which wire goes where.

No it isn't, the normal pair to use is orange and white. You can see in the first picture that they are shorter than green and black, therefore they have been connected in the past with a proper Krone tool.

Dropwire does not normally connect to a socket.

Yes it does.

The cores are too big for insulation displacement terminals connect to.

No they aren't.

There is usually a junction box first.

No there isn't. That's rare nowadays. What if it was a BT77A block terminal? That disproves the previous point!

Last edited by a moderator:
winston1 said:
The cores are too big for insulation displacement terminals connect to.

rsgaz said:
No they aren't.

Some drop wire conductors do not make good reliable connection with the IDC and the use of jelly crimps to CW1308 for IDC or a Master with screw terminals os reccomended

The Master socket has a capacitor ( bell capacitor) that some telephones use in the bell circuit. Without that capacitor the bell in some telephones cannot ring.

The Master socket also has an "out of service resistor" which together with the bell capacitor is used as part of the line testing procedure when OpenReach do line tests.

Last edited:
Seeing as you seem to know it all do you know which of the orange and white goes to which of the terminals 2 and 5? Don't say it doesn't matter, there is a correct way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I have the 4 colours.
I also have sockets numbered from 1-6.

I'd like to know which colour I would wire to which number.

Help?

JH

well Orange to 2
and white to 5

or the other way round

NVq8vd

https://goo.gl/images/NVq8vd

Last edited:
2 and 5 is correct. But which way round? Don't say it doesn't matter, there is a correct way.

Why not just say what is the correct way if you’re so well informed?

Judging by the rest of your posts in this thread, and the majority of your posts in general, you haven’t got the first clue what you’re talking about, but I’m sure you won’t let that stop you trying to act like mr superior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back