Wiring a cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My old man is currently fitting an electric cooker (belling kensington 90e), and the problem is we are missing the wiring documentation. I'm fairly sure I know how to wire it up, but I thought I'd seek clarification from the experts first :)

The cooker is rated at 14KW. I've proposed he use 6mm cable, fed from a 40A wylex CU fuse with a cooker 40A disconnection switch on the wall near the cooker. The total cable length is around 5 meters, running up a concrete wall, under some uninsulated floorboards, then back down a wall in plastic trunking to the CU. What do you think?

Now, on to the actual wiring of the cooker. Taking the cover off, it looks fairly obvious. Three terminals paralleled with a busbar on the left (live), another three in the same configuration to the right(neutral), and far right is earth. Am I right, or?

Thanks for any input :)

Sponsored Links
Put it on a 30A fuse - 6mm cable on a 40A BS3036 is a no-no..

Sponsored Links
The cooker is rated at 14KW. I've proposed he use 6mm cable, fed from a 40A wylex CU fuse with a cooker 40A disconnection switch on the wall near the cooker. The total cable length is around 5 meters, running up a concrete wall, under some uninsulated floorboards, then back down a wall in plastic trunking to the CU. What do you think?

14Kw is a mighty powerful oven - are you sure that is correct?

That makes 60A far too much for a 6mm cable and 40A fuse.

14Kw is a mighty powerful oven - are you sure that is correct?

That makes 60A far too much for a 6mm cable and 40A fuse.

The word you're looking for is diversity ;)

10A + 30% of the full load current + 5A if a socket outlet is incorporated in the cooker switch.

Yep - aware of diversity taking it down to 33A.

But for such a powerful cooker, I would consider the diversity allowance guidance to be questionable.

I would instead opt for a 10mm cable - just my opinion.

I would agree with you but in reality it's unlikely that he'll experience any problems.

The sticker on the rear says 14500watts :eek: We tried 10mm cable but in all honesty it's too thick to fit suitably in the CU and cooker terminals!

It will never draw anywhere close to that mate. 6mm is fine as long as you use a 40A fuse (but not a BS3036!).

I've just checked, and the current cooker fuse is actually 30A, so we'll be going with that :cool: Sorry for the confusion!

I'd be interested to know why 40A is too big for 6mm, though..

Is the cooker dual fuel? ie gas top electric oven . Cos the cable clamp and terminals look too small for 10mm anyways. the label will sometimes list the total including gas burners.. the large gas burners are also sometimes rated in watts.. ie the large wok burner is usually rated around 3kw.
Check the manufacturers instructions for fusing and cable size.. if you dont have the book then you can usually download a pdf of the installation instructions as long as you have the make and model number of the appliance.
looks like LNE left to right .
Phill

Nope, it's pure electric, and I agree with the clamp observation, there's no way we could fit our 10mm cable in it! It's nice and snug with 6mm, however.

We have no instructions at all, and couldn't for the life of me find a PDF or similar on the internet. I'll grab the manufacturer name and model number shortly...

[edit]belling kensington 90e

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back