Wiring a Floodlight

spi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

i hope you all can help, just want some advice..

Am trying to wire up 3 400watts metal hailide, but the problem is i need 2 put them on a timer.

now can i use the normal 16a wall mtd mechanical timer...ie immersion type..?

or do i have to use a contactor..?
or can i use a normal 16a timer with a realy.?

or any other way....?

rather than spending a fortune buying a indutrial timer....

plzzz help

Sponsored Links
i would use a contactor. those lights can wear out timers pretty quickly apparently. are you familiar with wiring a contactor? is this residential or commercial?

i have never wired up a contactor, but am sure it cant be that hard...its residential plot....

what about a hi power relay..?

HGES220.JPG

this is a contactor. as you can see, it mounts on a DIN rail.

terminals A1 and A2 are where you connect the timer to, so the timer controls the contactor just like any other load. the timer and contactor coil usually go on a 3 amp FCU, on their own.

terminals 1 and 2 are where you connect your light's live and switched live, so the contactor acts as the switch. This is a seperate circuit to the timer circuit, and should be protected with a fuse of appropriate rating to the light.

To spread the load even further and reduce switching stresses on the contactor, put 2 lights on terminals 1 and 2, and put the other light on terminals 3 and 4. But this isn't actually nessecary.

Sponsored Links
quick calc, lights would be pulling less than 10 amps, so any suitably rated timer would do.

fireman22 said:
quick calc, lights would be pulling less than 10 amps, so any suitably rated timer would do.

Discharge lighting has a nasty habit of burning out / welding shut the contacts on most timeclocks, as timeclocks tend to be rated for a resistive load.

I have seen a 10A rated clock fail with just 2no. 70W son floods connected to it. For the cost of a contactor it is stupid not to fit one.

spi said:
i have never wired up a contactor, but am sure it cant be that hard...its residential plot....

what about a hi power relay..?

A contactor basically is a SPST relay with a higher current rating than a standard control relay.

timer with 10 amp inductive load contacts then, going to look for one.

Thanks every1

I was thinking off looping the lights, all on 1 cct on a 10a breaker....u recon that will be ok....

Also will a mains 30a relay from maplins be suitable...lol..?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back