wiring a switch to a wall socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install a switch which will control a socket. Do I follow the same principal as per wiring a ceiling light ( junction box with 4 terminal ) or do I need to follow another diagram?
Would appreciate an answer.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Where in the UK do you live and where in the house are the switch and the socket?

What sort of circuit is it?

What cable size is used for it, and what is the rating of the fuse or MCB?

Does it have RCD protection?

What is the socket to be used for?

Where in the UK do you live and where in the house are the switch and the socket?

What sort of circuit is it?

What cable size is used for it, and what is the rating of the fuse or MCB?

Does it have RCD protection?

What is the socket to be used for?

I live in Southport...The socket is in the lounge on the ring main protected by an RCD and the cables are the usual 2,5mm. The socket is to receive a lamp.

If it's on the ring you can't just add a switch - what you'd have to do is put a a 13A switched FCU on the ring in place of the socket, and then run the socket off the output of that.

I'm guessing you want the switch somewhere different to where the socket is, so what you could do is put a 13A unswitched FCU in place (could be adjacent to where socket is) on the ring, then run the output of that to a 20A rated switch (NOT a normal lightswitch), which then supplies the socket. Obviously all cabling has to be in safe zones etc...

Sponsored Links
If it's on the ring you can't just add a switch - what you'd have to do is put a a 13A switched FCU on the ring in place of the socket, and then run the socket off the output of that.

I'm guessing you want the switch somewhere different to where the socket is, so what you could do is put a 13A unswitched FCU in place (could be adjacent to where socket is) on the ring, then run the output of that to a 20A rated switch (NOT a normal lightswitch), which then supplies the socket. Obviously all cabling has to be in safe zones etc...

Ok, thanks for the info.

Is it permissible to wire one side of the 20amp switch into the ring (ie ring in and out) and run 2.5 mm (or 1.5 mm) cable to the socket from the other side of the switch. Electrically it would seem to be no different from a normal switched socket in the ring (routing of cable excepted)

That seems to be how the under-worktop appliances in my kitchen are arranged (eg washing machine) could the OP do that for his socket?

H

Is it permissible to wire one side of the 20amp switch into the ring (ie ring in and out) and run 2.5 mm (or 1.5 mm) cable to the socket from the other side of the switch. Electrically it would seem to be no different from a normal switched socket in the ring (routing of cable excepted)

That seems to be how the under-worktop appliances in my kitchen are arranged (eg washing machine) could the OP do that for his socket?
Not in 1.5mm t+e I hope!

What am I missing?

Why can't you just use a switched socket to plug the light into?

It is often in the nature of sockets that they are not where you would prefer them to be! I am guessing the OP wants to plug his light into a socket that might be awkwardly placed and does not want to have to shift his piano - or whatever - every time he wants to turn it on/off.

By the way - what is the situation regarding 2 amp, round pin lighting circuits under the current regs? Are they still allowed (assuming they are correctly fused spur etc)
H [/quote]

2A / 5A socket(s) fed of the local lighting circuit would be by far the best soloution.

Why not take the easy route and buy one of the remote controlled socket kits that are available.That way you do not even need to get out of your chair.

I am guessing the OP wants to plug his light into a socket that might be awkwardly placed and does not want to have to shift his piano - or whatever - every time he wants to turn it on/off.
Torpedo switch on the flex...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back