Wiring a switched PIR light outside on 2 core t&e?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has incorrectly fed 2 core t&e from the switch inside to where the light will go outside (and made good).
I was planning to buy a outdoor light with a PIR sensor and have the switch override the PIR and make the light always on.
Obviously normally this should be done with 3 core t&e.

Is there a way to achieve this with 2 core t&e? (I cant think of one...)

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
This is fine.

The ovveride is by switching on-off-on
Then it'll stay on til you switch it off

EBay mobile is poo and doesn't display the description on my phone

The electronics in the light will know when you've switched it on then off then on and will make the light stay on. It really is as simple as that!
Just make sure the description and manual say "with override function" and it should be fine

Sponsored Links
Provided you are happy that some nights the lamp will come on and stay on all night then fitting a lamp with the override function using an ON_OFF_ON sequence will be OK.

Some of the less well designed PIRs can be tripped into override ON by a voltage dip when a motor starts in the house. These less well designed PIRs tend to be the cheap imports sold via on line shops.

If the builder was told to install 3 core and earth then he should correct his error.

do all the outdoor pir lights come with an override function?
I dont see it stated anywhere so either it is uncommon or it comes as standard...

It tends to be common on DIY PIRs as the function is sold as a "bonus" and hence the devices are easier to sell as retro-fit items ( adding PIR to an existing lamp )) without the need to change the wiring..

My PIR of choice is

http://www.steinel.de/en/Motion-Det.../Infrared-motion-detector-IS-180-2-Black.html

( available from TLC and other outlets )

which does not have the override function and is a very well designed and manufactured device,

The eBay link points at a light that has the option of an integrated PIR.
There's no hint of a pulse over-ride feature in this.

Dear OP, you need to ask the eBay vendor the question about over-ride.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back