Wiring a wardrobe light in old airing cupboard

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reference material - I'll give them a thorough read through

Why can't u run a cable from the fcu to a ceiling rose,in the fcu change fuse to 3 amp then connect all wires together at this point.

Cable into ceiling rose, earth to earth block (oversleeve it) neutral to neutral block live to loop block (middle block In A ceiling rose) then a wire from switch into ceiling rose. At switch plate all wires in appropriate blocks. At ceiling rose earth to earth block (oversleeved) than live to live block neutral oversleeved with brown to junction block. Switch should break live.

Is that right?

Sponsored Links
Ok, so after some further reading here is how I propose to wire things up:

[code:1]
- Mains 3-core cable from consumer unit to the FCU
- 3-core cable (0.75mm) from FCU to a terminal block
--- Live core to 'Loop' terminal on the block
--- Neutral core to Neutral terminal on the block
--- Earth to Earth terminal
- 2-core cable from terminal block to the push switch
--- Live wire from 'Loop' terminal to Live terminal on the switch
--- Switched neutral wire from Neutral terminal on the switch to Live terminal on the block
- 3-core cable from the slimline link light to the terminal block (the light already comes with a 3-pin plug, so my plan is to take the plug off and wire the ends as follows
--- Live core from light cable to Live terminal on the block
--- Neutral core to Neutral terminal on the block
--- Earth to Earth terminal on the block
[/code:1]

The push switch does not appear to have an earth terminal so that is why I propose to use a 2-core cable. However, I may look to get another push-switch (the Jeani ones) and if that has an earth terminal then I will use a 3-core instead and wire the earth to the earth terminal on the block.

Is this is a sensible / safe approach?

Thanks in advance

NO.

1) You must maintain the continuity of the earth - the fact that there's no earth terminal on the switch is irrelevant - switches never have them, as you never switch the earth.

2) With single-pole switches you must NOT switch the neutral!

3) "Switched neutral wire from Neutral terminal on the switch to Live terminal on the block" Get ready for bangs and sparks, switch destroyed, MCB tripped...

NO.

1) You must maintain the continuity of the earth - the fact that there's no earth terminal on the switch is irrelevant - switches never have them, as you never switch the earth.

2) With single-pole switches you must NOT switch the neutral!

3) "Switched neutral wire from Neutral terminal on the switch to Live terminal on the block" Get ready for bangs and sparks, switch destroyed, MCB tripped...

Thanks for clearing that up lol. How is it meant to be wired up then (I though I had it sussed!)? I noticed on another thread you mentioning you have this very setup at home.

Thanks in advance

Ah - partly my bad - I read your "Switched neutral wire from Neutral terminal on the switch to Live terminal on the block" a bit out of context.

It's not a switched neutral, it's the switched live. Permanent live goes to the switch, switched live comes from it.

If you use a terminal block don't forget it has to be in an enclosure, not left loose.

CHOCBOXB.JPG

My setup is a little more complex - I've got a built-in wardrobe with 3 pairs of double doors, 6 lights and 6 door switches.

The door switches are wired in 3 sets of parallel pairs so that opening any door causes both lights in that pair to come on, and I've also got a 3-gang switch wired in parallel with each pair of door switches so that I can have the lights on with the doors closed (they are open louvres).

Ah, ok - that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. So then what I have suggested is ok?

I have a similar setup with the wardrobes in my bedroom - which I am also looking to wire in some lights, so thanks for explaining how you have it working.

I'll be using a junction box for connecting all of the wires, and making sure it is accessible.

On a separate note, would it be ok to use terminal blocks and tuck them in behind, say, an FCU (i.e. inside the wall casing?

Ah ok, so it still has to be encased even if it's going into the wall casing?

No, but choc-block is quite bulky - no guarantee that there'd be room for it in the same box as an FCU.

Ok cool.

BTW - Out of curiosity, is it bad practice to use a 3 core cable instead of a 2 core one and not use the earth wire. I.e. cut the earth wire back to the sleeving on both sides of the cable, and effectively only use the Live and Neutral cables?

BTW - Out of curiosity, is it bad practice to use a 3 core cable instead of a 2 core one and not use the earth wire. I.e. cut the earth wire back to the sleeving on both sides of the cable, and effectively only use the Live and Neutral cables?
Yes it is very bad practice and should not be done. You should continue the earth to the fittings and if it's not required thern terminate it in a choc block or similar. Don't chop it off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back