Wiring a wardrobe light in old airing cupboard

BTW - Out of curiosity, is it bad practice to use a 3 core cable instead of a 2 core one and not use the earth wire. I.e. cut the earth wire back to the sleeving on both sides of the cable, and effectively only use the Live and Neutral cables?
Yes it is very bad practice and should not be done. You should continue the earth to the fittings and if it's not required thern terminate it in a choc block or similar. Don't chop it off!

Perhaps you misunderstood my question, or I have misunderstood your reply. I was refering to a scenario where instead of using a 2core cable you use a 3core and do not use the earth at all. So, lets take my situation - One would normally use a 2 core from the junction box to the push switch. Instead of doing this, would using a 3core, but not wire the earth to the junction box (or the push switch as there is no earth) be a bad thing to do? Does that make sense?

This is a question purely based on curiosity, as personally I am wondering what the difference is between a 2 core cable and a 3core where the earth is not used at either end.

Sponsored Links
I am wondering what the difference is between a 2 core cable and a 3core where the earth is not used at either end.
Now i'm a bit confused. :LOL:

You get two core + earth cable or three core + earth cable. So whichever you buy you get an earth core!

2c+e

CA1GH.JPG

3c+e

CA1SLASH3H.JPG

So you should always have an earth core in your fixed wiring. The regs require that you run the earth to all of the fittings even if the fitting does not require an earth (ie - you terminate it at the fitting/in a terminal block etc). ;)

Ah right, my bad. Sorry, I got the terminology mixed up. I was referring to the difference between a twin+earth and a 2core

Twin+E:
CA1GH.JPG

2-core:
CA0.5F2.JPG

This is what I would run from the junction box to the push switch. Or is my thinking wrong?

:)

Sponsored Links
For fixed wiring you should use twin + earth.

For flexible wiring three core flex. I suppose you could use two core flex from the switch to the fitting if it was double insulated...but this is normally used for things like light pendants where you would have an earth as far as the ceiling rose...

Those T4 linked flourescents are all DI - the link cables are 2-core 0.75mm² flex with C1/C2 connectors....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back