Wiring an electric mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a new build house and I would like to get a mirror put up on the wall. The bathroom doesn't have a window so it is quite dark.

I am looking at getting a mirror with built in lights, but obviously, it will need wiring in.
There is a shaver point quite close to the area for the mirror.
See pictures below. Can anyone tell me if this would be a big job to do?
Photo_10-06-2017_16_21_55_-_Copy.jpg

Photo_10-06-2017_16_22_22_-_Copy.jpg

Note that the wall slightly sticks out where the shaver point is...the wall where the mirror goes is slightly further in. It can be better seen from the plan below, I have marked the shaver socket with a red X:
Plan.png

Sponsored Links
When it says it flatters the face, does it make you look thinner? I might need to get one

Sponsored Links
I have not yet picked one, would it be better to get one with one?
Possibly the best way would be to take power from the input side of teh shaver point. But that will be a permanent supply, so you'll need a mirror with a switch (unless you want the lights on permanently!)

The other option would be to take a switched live down from the bathroom lights. Then the mirror lights will go on and off with the lights.

However, and looking at your diagram. I rather suspect that your mirror would fall within the bathroom zones, and that makes the electrical work you describe a notifiable event. That's expensive if you DIY it. You'll be better off (cheaper, safer) getting a registered electrician to do the work.

It's a pity you didn't specify this requirement during the build, then it would have been "signed off" with the rest of the electrics.

PS That doesnt all look finished yet! Is the sparks still on site? I'll bet he'd do it for some beer vouchers...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back