wiring an ouside weatherproof socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My question(s) are these:

I obtained planning and building regulations approval in 2002 for a porch, rear extension and side utility extension, since then I have completed the porch and rear extensions and the side utility will be fully finished next year. As my approval was back in 2002 will the new wiring regulations apply, I ask this because the electrician I used for the porch and rear extension has not provided me with a certificate despite my request for this prior to him completing the wiring on the rear extension December 2005, in fact he queried the need. Since then as part of our Home Care Agreement with British Gas I have had the wiring checked and it was ok, I mentioned the possible need for a certificate to this electrician at the time and he told me it would be unnecessary as the wiring didn't entail a new ring main.

I am now looking to wire in an outdoor weatherproof RCD socket on the outside of my rear extension wall. The position is directly behind an existing internal socket on the ring main. I am hoping to drill through the wall and just spur from this socket and I am not sure if this is possible.

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

I thought that I had successfully posted these questions the other night but it would seem that I hadn't?

Many thanks. :confused:

Sponsored Links
the 17th edition of the regulations came into force in june/july 2008.
anything wired before then would have been done to the 16th edition ( plus the amendments ).

unless you are talking about Part P which I'm unsure when that came into force as I don't do domestic so haven't come under it yet...

regardless of part P, he should have issued you with a certificate for the work done..

the installation of the outdoor socket would come under Part P* however and would need to be notified or done by a registered electrician who will notify for you.

* as BAS is often quick to point out, Part P actually covers ALL electrical work carried out in a dwelling or building attatched to or fed from a dwelling ( including the garden ), but in general when we say "Part P" we're talking about work that is notifiable, and not all the work is..

Thanks for the replies i presume it is part P. However, can any one help am I ok to do this work from an existing socket and do I need approval/certificate?

Thanks

sharpep

It is very possible to have it wired from the socket providing the socket isn't a spur from a ring.
The socket needs to have RCD protection - wether this one which covers the whole ring or one just for the socket is the installers shout.
As you are aware this work is notifiable to your LABC under part p, tbh rather than paying them to do the work yourself it is probably cheaper to get an electrician who can self certify to do it for you.

Sponsored Links
As my approval was back in 2002 will the new wiring regulations apply
Did you follow the route of full plans submission for BR, or just submit a Building Notice?

It makes a difference when it comes to transitional provisions.

But when did you start the work? AFAIK Building Regulations approval only lasts 2 years if you don't start...

unless you are talking about Part P which I'm unsure when that came into force as I don't do domestic so haven't come under it yet...
1st Jan 2005.

in general when we say "Part P" we're talking about work that is notifiable, and not all the work is..
Stop being so inaccurate with your usage then ;)

It's actually not some minor pedantic point - if you conflate "notifiable" and "Part P" then you risk losing sight of the fact that the law of the land, contravention of which is a criminal offence punishable by fines and imprisonment, imposes a requirement for all work to be done properly, not just the notifiable stuff.

As you are aware this work is notifiable to your LABC under part p, tbh rather than paying them to do the work yourself it is probably cheaper to get an electrician who can self certify to do it for you.
But don't use the guy who thinks he doesn't need to issue certificates if it "doesn't entail a new ring main"...

MWC should suffice should it not?
or are you talking about the "part P" certificate

MWC would be fine for the external socket.

But that's still a certificate.

It wouldn't have been appropriate for the wiring in an extension, but even if it was it's still a certificate, and the original electrician said that nothing was needed.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back