Wiring diagram for TD SILENT Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a bathroom refurbishment, I would like to replace the existing Airflow QuietAir QT100T, which was not sufficient to clear steam from the 10.27m2 bathroom. Also, although this is the "silent" version, on the higher setting it is still quite loud, so I figure if I go for a "silent" in-line extractor this "should" be almost silent.

The TLC extractor fan size calculator recommends a 6" or larger in line extractor, so I would like to go with the TD SILENT 500 with Timer run on by Soler & Palau. This achieves upto 500m3/hour so should be sufficient for the calcualted 389m3/hour.

The existing extractor is wired using 3 core and earth from an isolation switch outside the bathroom. This in turn is wired into the bathroom light, so for the extractor to work, both the bathroom light and isolation switch must be ON. I would like the in-line fan to work in exactly the same way.

So far I've been unable to find ANY wiring diagrams for the TD SILENT products. Has anyone installed one of these or has access to diagrams? Before purchasing I would like to confirm how it needs to be wired up to ensure I can use the same cable and simply perform a swap of the existing extractor.

Sponsored Links
I've already asked Soler & Palau, but so far not got a reply. I've checked many sites that sell the fan, including TLC, bit not found any wiring documents. I suspect if it was available it would have been made available, so it may only be mentioned in the installation manual, which again I've searched for. Unfortunately the S&P website is pretty poor.

Looking at the image in the catalogue I can't tell if it is 2 or 3 connectors, or if one of them is earth. Also, would the timer version have different wiring to the none timer version? The few ceiling extractors I've installed have live, neutral and switched live.

Sponsored Links
In the end I purchased the Soler Palau TD SILENT 500 "without" the run on timer as the run on timer model only had one speed. The version without the timer has two speeds and I suspect the lower speed will be adequate for my bathroom and it should run quieter.

In addition, I purchased a RT5A run on timer, which allows me to configure the run on facility, so I get two optional speeds with a run on timer, a configuration that Soler Palau doesn't provide (surprisingly).

Actually, the whole range of the SP TD SILENT range of in-line fans is very confusing. Depending on which outlet I looked at, some had three speeds, some two speeds and I found manuals for both, so it was difficult to understand which were the "latest" versions and to match the manuals to the correct version of the fan!

After all the over thinking and messing about with wiring, let's hope the fan is more reliable than they've proven to be for us. We're on our third. First lasted 3 months, second 6 months. This third one is doing better but we'll see.... Previous two had bearing and/or motor failure. When they work, they genuinely are quiet though.

Oh no, that doesn't sound very promising.

You got me wondering about warranty and I can't seem to find ANY information, even on the Soler Palau website about warranty periods. Nothing was provided with the product!

Do you have any idea what the warranty period is and how did you go about replacing the faulty fans? I assume you went back to the company from which it was purchased?

Yes, bought via TLC who I have to say are brilliant. Their service is tip top. Warranty I believe is one year.

They make it easy, they ship a new one, you keep the packaging, pop the broken one in the box then call them to arrange courier pick up. 10/10 :)

It is of course possible that S&P had a bad batch but I will reserve judgement for now.

I also purchased from TLC, so it's good to know their customer service is excellent.

Fingers crossed your fan (and mine) will work for many years.

Out of interest, did you get acoustic/insulated ducting to minimise noise and avoid condensation or just use the standard plastic stuff?

I really need my setup to be as quiet as possible, so will probably pay the extra for this type of flexible ducting and also try to site the in-line fan on one of the roof struts in the loft space i.e. as high up as possible without compromising on the length of the ducting.

I also purchased from TLC, so it's good to know their customer service is excellent.

Fingers crossed your fan (and mine) will work for many years.

Out of interest, did you get acoustic/insulated ducting to minimise noise and avoid condensation or just use the standard plastic stuff?

I really need my setup to be as quiet as possible, so will probably pay the extra for this type of flexible ducting and also try to site the in-line fan on one of the roof struts in the loft space i.e. as high up as possible without compromising on the length of the ducting.

Hopefully!

Regarding ducting, the existing roof vent has it's own plastic ducting and from the bathroom I've used the foil type of ducting (not the heavy insulated stuff).

I didn't want to mount the fan to any of the woodwork to avoid it humming (late at night with the run on, the room is an en-suite) so it's suspended using nylon rope properly secured. All we can hear is the air moving through the outlet in ceiling. With the door shut, you'd never know it was running.

I usually do the same thing but hang the fan with huge cable ties. Looks a bit bodgey but cuts the noise level a huge amount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back