Wiring diagram help - plumber has given up !

Ok my real name isnt Andy its cuthbert but you try growing up in a scheme in glesga with the name cuthbert you just constantly get ripped so i chose the name Andy as a young lad to help me through life .

Sponsored Links
Agile this is what you actually wrote.

unfortunately,mains input connections are designed for thin 0.75mm cable.
The only heat resistant cable commonly available is 1.5mm and 2.5mm for immersion heaters

Using the thick cable creates a serious risk of damaging the boiler particularly where input connections are on a delicate pcb .

My view is its better to use thin none heat resisting cable rather than using too thick HR cable and risk damage to the boiler. In any case i have never come accross any problem caused by not using HR cable.

Point 1
you knew it had to be .75mm which as anyone one who works on boilers should know is readily available from any electrical merchants even PTS and plumbcentre stocked it.

Point 2

And this is the worst one you purposely disregarded manufacturers instructions and put future engineers lives at risk perhaps with your limited experience in the industry you have not come across badly charred and bare wires within a boiler caused by the use of none HR cable .
Well i have and have had several belts off them because someone like yourself thought they knew better and could not be bothered to find out the correct materials to be used if you cut basic safety corners like this what other safety corners do you cut.
Working without proper registration ?

So my original point of you being pot kettle and black about not understanding how a plumber can not understand how to wire c/heating is valid

Good, you now admit that your wild accusation was totally wrong and that I always knew that HR cable s required!

That posting was related to already installed boilers which others have fitted which I am called to repair.

I still take the view that HR cable is not easily available in smaller conductor sizes. I would be surprised if it was stocked by Screwfix, Toolstation, Wickes or B&Q which are where many installers and builders buy their bits because its easy to buy from those places compared with Plunb Centre where they walk away when you come in and seriously overcharge if you dont have a PC credit account.

I have never yet seen a problem caused by anyone who has not used a HR cable. The cable supplied ready fitted to some boilers is not marked as HR either nor are internal cables except a few on older boilers just on the fan/APS.

Tony

erm totally confused again, and this thread has turned into something else....

D_Hailsham posts seems the clearest, any reason why i really shouldnt do it ?

and if so, please could you explain what should be done.

thank you

Sponsored Links
30 second check. Heat resistant cable. on each of the 4 examples you gave the first 3 , Top of list was 0.75mm cable Bq it was the 3rd thing .
So i would class that as readily avialable you chose not to use it and still cannot see the danger in not using it but hey you know better than manufacturers.

My comments where in regard to you using standard cable to wire boilers which is why i edited my post when i realised i had worded it wrongly.

I find it strange that someone in the industry would not have an account with one of the major suppliers but then again i also find it strange that someone would not have an in date ACS and carry on working as a pro.
Perhaps when you get more experience you will realise the dangers in bodge fixes that endangers fellow workers. And the importance of being properly qualified

Cuthbert McNamsag

Gassafe registered engineer

OP sorry for hijacking your thread

Dhailsham gives excellent advice on electrical matters and go with what he says , he takes time to make it clear plain and simple

I take it the boiler is an Ultimate 60FF. If so, pump is wired back to the boiler. not as shown in the Y plan.

Plenty of HR cable in .75, I use 4 and 5 core for ease, City Plumbing has 3 core .75 HR cable, but not 4 and 5 which is a fkin pain as it means I have to make another trip to Electric Center, however their prices are excellent.

i normally use screwfix or bes for the 4 or 5 core .75 heat resistant. They are normally the cheapest

Yep, BES.
I've used a lot of 0.5mm 6 HR core from TLC. Ok it's a bit skinny but it's only the mechanical strength that's an issue, not the current carrying. It's a darned site easier to get into things like programmers.

I take it the boiler is an Ultimate 60FF. If so, pump is wired back to the boiler. not as shown in the Y plan.

is this correct ? how can i tell ? the boiler doesnt have the word ultimate anywhere on it

just glowworm micron 60ff

Good, you now admit that your wild accusation was totally wrong and that I always knew that HR cable s required!

That posting was related to already installed boilers which others have fitted which I am called to repair.

I still take the view that HR cable is not easily available in smaller conductor sizes. I would be surprised if it was stocked by Screwfix, Toolstation, Wickes or B&Q which are where many installers and builders buy their bits because its easy to buy from those places compared with Plunb Centre where they walk away when you come in and seriously overcharge if you dont have a PC credit account.

I have never yet seen a problem caused by anyone who has not used a HR cable. The cable supplied ready fitted to some boilers is not marked as HR either nor are internal cables except a few on older boilers just on the fan/APS.

Tony

Should be discussed in the CC ;)

is this correct ? how can i tell ? the boiler doesnt have the word ultimate anywhere on it

just glowworm micron 60ff
The micron 60ff also has pump overrun, so I have changed the diagram in my earlier post. The alterations I gave have not changed.

excellent, thank you all ! hopefully i shall have heating and hot water soon :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back