Wiring Fluorescent lights in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is my first post and I was looking for a little advice regarding wiring some fluorescent lights into my attic.
My upstairs lights are wired in a loop type system and I have found the last light in the loop (which has only 2 cables wired at the ceiling rose - 1 supply cable and 1 switch cable) and I was planning on extending this lighting circuit by taking a new 1.5mm supply cable from this ceiling rose in the attic to feed the new lights.
I have bought 2no. 58w (1500mm long) fluorescent light fittings and I was wanting to know what would be the best way to wire these to operate with 1no. 1 way switch. The fluorescent light fittings each have a small block connector which has 3 terminals for the live, neutral and earth.

Do I take the new 1.5mm supply cable from the existing ceiling rose up to one of the fluorescent light fittings, add a new block connector in the fluorescent fitting (so that I have the same number of connections as a ceiling rose) and then run a 1.5mm cable from the fluorescent fitting down to the switch. Or do I take the new supply cable from the existing ceiling rose into a junction box in the roofspace and then run a cable from the junction box to a switch and a new cable to the light fitting.
Or is there a better and more common way of wiring the fluorescent light fitting.

Also as I said I want to be able to switch the 2 fluorescent light fittings from the same switch, what is the best way to wire the 2 fittings to the one 1 way switch?
What anyone have any circuit diagrams for this situation?

Sponsored Links
new cable (feed) from existing rose to new switch
from new switch to 1st new light
from 1st new light to 2nd new light.

no junction boxes required

see number 4 drawing in the sticky

Go to the switch first, then on to the light. Wire the neutrals together in the switch. Try and avoid jbs.

Edit: or as Breezer said...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick replies, I wasn't too keen on using JB's either, but a number of websites I have visited said to use a JB so I just wanted a second opinion.
Therefore, Just to confirm:
1. I install a new 1.5mm twin and earth supply cable between the existing rose and the new 1-way switch.
2. I then install another new 1.5mm twin and earth cable between the 1-way switch and the first fluorescent light fitting.
3. I think I may be wrong on this bit, but at the 1-way switch, Do I connect the 2 live cables to the live terminal of the switch, the 2 neutral cables to the neutral terminal of the switch and the 2 earth cables to the earth terminal. Or is this wrong, which I think it might be. (Something tells me that it is only the live wires which connects to the switch)
4. Finally do I then just install another new 1.5mm twin and earth cable from the first light fitting to the new 2nd light fitting.

3. I think I may be wrong on this bit, but at the 1-way switch, Do I connect the 2 live cables to the live terminal of the switch, the 2 neutral cables to the neutral terminal of the switch and the 2 earth cables to the earth terminal. Or is this wrong, which I think it might be. (Something tells me that it is only the live wires which connects to the switch).
There are no neutral terminals on the switch.

Read this and it will all become clear: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

3. I think I may be wrong on this bit, but at the 1-way switch, Do I connect the 2 live cables to the live terminal of the switch, the 2 neutral cables to the neutral terminal of the switch and the 2 earth cables to the earth terminal. Or is this wrong, which I think it might be. (Something tells me that it is only the live wires which connects to the switch).
There are no neutral terminals on the switch.

Read this and it will all become clear: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting[/QUOTE]

Yeah sorry, just relaised that after I had posted my last comment about wiring the switch (don't know what I was thinking when I typed that - my brain wasn't in gear : ) at the time). What I meant to ask was if it was ok to connect the neutral wires with a new block connector which would be located in the new switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back