Wiring for external sounders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I just need to plan for 6-core alarm cable for a sounder? Are there any that need LV supply, i.e. twin & earth?

I see that it is typical to fit a dummy box as well. Why? Seems to me that must burgulars would expect the box on the front of the house to be a real sounder and the one at the rear to be a dummy. Any reason why I can't put a real box on BOTH the front and rear walls?

Sponsored Links
Yes, 6 core alarm cable is all you need.
You should get one with an internal battery.

Yes you can put one on the rear too, most dont because no one from the road will know, your neighbours will just get annoyed.

But there is nowt to prevent you from doing so, I once did.
(They can usually be wired together, 6 core cable too).

there is a slight "problem" with having two real self activating sounders.

It is to do with the wiring of the first one.

Its tamper return is used to supply the negative supply for the 2nd sounder.
some (not all) electronic sounders do not support a 2nd sounder running via the first.

The reason you do not wire them in paralell is because if you do both will have to be opened to create a tamper condition at the panel (since each is sending back a negative return)

View media item 3110

Thanks. At this stage I am just doing the (structured) wiring in my house. It will be star wiring from one of two central equipment locations so I can just run the cable and worry about the actual connections later.

It just seemed to me that if I go to the effort of installing a dummy box, why not use a real one instead?

Sponsored Links
You may like to consider making the rear box a strobe only one, so that it does not annoy the neighbours when going off all the time :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back