Wiring for new cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a new dual fual range cooker. I was surprised to find that no cable was supplied to connect to the outlet terminal. The electric ovens are rated at a combined 7.3kW.

I have run 10mm T&E cable to a double pole isolation swith from the CU. This then runs to a terminal outlet. I now need to run a cable from the terminal outlet to the cooker, but do not know what type of wire is needed. It says in the instructions that the cooker is of type 'X' (relating to heat insulation, or something). Is their a special heat resistant flex that is used to connect cookers to a fixed terminal?

Any help would be appreciated, as I am starting to get fed up with microwave meals!!

Sponsored Links
i've never heard of any sparky using anything other thant t&e to wire to a cookers terminals despite what some manufacuteres reccomend

the rating of that cooker comes to just under 32A so you should use a 32A breaker

10mm T&E was serious overkill unless it's a very long run or there are other unusual cuircumstances but now you've put it in you may as well keep it

to wire to the cooker use 6mm T&E if it will fit otherwise use 4mm (4mm has just about enough rating when it's on the surface or free but i still wouldn't use it unless 6mm wouldn't fit)

Plug, 10mm2 is no problem, it means there is future capacity.

Wouldn't use 4mm2 for cooker connection, use 6mm2 at least.

Sorry if I've missed a crucial point, but why wouldn't 6 fit?

it's just something i heared mentioned before that some cookers wouldn't take 6mm

but yes i would use 6mm if it fitted

Sponsored Links
So using a 6mm T&E PVC wire from the cooker to the outlet terminal on the wall would be fine. Their is no requirement for a heat resistant cable?

The reason I used 10mm was that I had some handy, and it covered me if I ever decided to add to the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back