Wiring garden Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run armoured cable from my house to my garden shed in my back yard to add two outlets and 2 lights. Does It need earthing.

Sponsored Links
Norm said:
I want to run armoured cable from my house to my garden shed in my back yard to add two outlets and 2 lights. Does It need earthing.

of course it does. what do you think is gonna take any fault current? the invisible magic cable?

RCD protection for out-building?

3 core armoured has three colours, Brown black grey

use brown for live
sleeve the black with blue sleeving/tape = Neutral
sleeve the grey with Green/yellow sleeving or tape for identification = Earth

or put an earth-stake in

Sponsored Links
Jim2287 said:

use brown for live

or put an earth-stake in

Norm asked a simple question, we gave a simple answer. He didn't mention any of this stuff, so why do you mention it? Yes, he needs RCD protection for the sockets, but if he wants to know about this, he will probably ask, or go ahead and do what he thinks and add to the great number of dangerous outdoor shed lash-ups in this country. Plus, the issue of providing electrical lash-ups to sheds has been debated a great many times on this forum, which is why nobody wants to type reams about the topic here!

norm, the SWA sheath needs earthing, but whether you export the house earth to provide protection to appliances at the shed is up to you, and depends on the supplier earthing arrangements.

EARTH RODS NEED TESTING by the way, before anyone goes throwing an earth rod into dry sand expecting it to provide protection.

search this forum, these issues have been raised many many times.

crafty1289 said:
Norm asked a simple question, we gave a simple answer. He didn't mention any of this stuff, so why do you mention it?

incase he didnt think of it ... he doesnt know if he needs an earth, RCD's dont work without an earth ->
he would have no protection in a place which is quite dangerous since its likely he has tools which can damage cable, or water which spills/leaks onto electrics

he said he is running armoured, does it need earth - i gave him a simple answer and a solution of how to get an earth -

if you dont want to type reams then why even respond to my post which just simply suggests core identification

rcds don't work without a way for current to get back to the transformer without going through the rcd. in most cases (barring f*cked up wiring) the only such path will be through either the body of the earth or the installations earthing system.

let me put it this way

lamp connected to mains via 2 "singles"

the live is accidentaly cut (rcd trips)

how did rcd know to trip? there is no earth or is there?

by cutting the wire the person / thing cutting it provides the earth, but as the live is now drawing more current then the neutral this is an imbalance.
This imbalance is detected by a transformer which operated the actual switch

imagine a do-nut shape (sorry cant draw do-nuts) and my mechanics are not good at this time of night

on the left is a coil which is in series with the live

on the right is a coil which is in series with the neutral

at the bottom is a 3rd coil (between the other 2 coils)

this 3rd coil is connected to a switch within the rcd

as the current being drawn by the lamp is even, (both flow and return are the same) nothing happens in the 3rd coil

when the live is cut, current flows through person / object to earth, this also means that more current is flowing through the live than there is through the neutral, this is an imbalance. the 3rd coil now gets a current induced in it, so operates the switch. turning off the supply

this happens in less than the blink of an eye

"RCD's dont serve their purpose of safety, without an installed earth"
better ?

Jim2287 said:

use brown for live
I was told:
Brown = Live,
Black sleeved green/yellow = Earth
Grey sleeved blue = Neutral
although up to date I haven't seen either version cast in stone.

Spark123 said:
I was told:
Brown = Live,
Black sleeved green/yellow = Earth
Grey sleeved blue = Neutral
although up to date I haven't seen either version cast in stone.

Thats the one I'd go along with, as it corresponds with the way the old colours were used: red = phase, yellow = earth, blue = neutral, and yellow became black, and blue became grey

What is the easiest way to transport an earth to an outside building?

To go down the SWA route or transfer it direct from the earth cable in the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back