Wiring Hive to Logic Combi ES35

bkm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Looking for some information on wiring a Hive single channel receiver to a Logic Combi ES35 boiler.

I know the Hive single channel receiver requires 4 connections; Neutral (N), Live (L), Common (1) and Heating On (3).

From the boiler to receiver:
N to N
L to L
Room Stat to 3

I believe common is used to send a signal to the boiler when the Heating On switch is closed but what should common be connected to on the boiler?
Should it be connected to the end terminal next to the Room Stat terminal (link to picture below).

p5jV94Yn

https://postimg.cc/p5jV94Yn

Had trouble linking the image....
mH293S9

Sponsored Links
The Hive single channel version 'Common' (1) and 'Heating on' (3) terminals are both just a switch, when Hive switches 'on' the two terminals are electrically connected. So connecting them to the two room stat/timer terminals would work.

However. it looks like you already have some external controls connected. Where does the black wire in the top of the second terminal from the left go? Normally, if there is an existing thermostat the wiring is simply redirected to the Hive, avoiding any changes to the wiring at the boiler.

If your boiler is of the design that you have to open up the combustion chamber to access the wiring terminals (some do, some don't) that should only have been done by an RGI who can carry out the necessary tests to make sure it is safely sealed up again afterwards.

The Hive single channel version 'Common' (1) and 'Heating on' (3) terminals are both just a switch, when Hive switches 'on' the two terminals are electrically connected. So connecting them to the two room stat/timer terminals would work.

However. it looks like you already have some external controls connected. Where does the black wire in the top of the second terminal from the left go? Normally, if there is an existing thermostat the wiring is simply redirected to the Hive, avoiding any changes to the wiring at the boiler.

If your boiler is of the design that you have to open up the combustion chamber to access the wiring terminals (some do, some don't) that should only have been done by an RGI who can carry out the necessary tests to make sure it is safely sealed up again afterwards.

Thanks for the reply.
Great, that's exactly what I was thinking. 'Common' and 'Heating On' become linked when the Hive Receiver is told to turn the heating on.

The external connections go to a thermostat/programmer at the front of the house, away from the boiler.
Yeah that's a really good point, the receiver could just be installed in place of the thermostat/programmer. It would be closer to the router and Hive Hub that way too.

I wouldn't touch the boiler myself (just curious of how this all goes together), but I assume it would be okay for me to wire the receiver in place of the external thermostat/programmer myself?

You will have to remove the existing controls anyway, so it would be easier. There is only one wire connected to the boiler thermostat terminal, so the live to the thermostat (which is the unused boiler terminal) will probably be picked up inside the existing controls. So, if you go that way then Hive terminals 'L' and 'Common (1) would be linked to give the Hive something to switch to the boiler.

The safety issue with the boiler is to do with removing the cover that gives access to the wiring terminals (which you've done to take the photo). With some Ideal boilers, this cover forms part of the combustion chamber seal, so when it's refitted an RGI would need to carry out safety checks to make sure it's properly sealed up again

• Thanks
Reactions: bkm
Sponsored Links
Yeah that makes sense. If installing in place of the thermostat/programmer, Link 'Live' to 'Common' on the Hive Receiver to complete the circuit when the 'heating on' switch is closed.

Right, I see. There's a rubber seal around the whole front panel.
Fair enough, I have a friend who is RGI so I'll call them around and we'll go from there.

Thanks for your help mate, scratched the itch of curiosity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back