Wiring in a TV off the lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new TV in the bedroom mounted on a built in wardrobe and wondering if there's any valid reason in the regs why I can't power it from the lighting circuit.

It's a LED TV with max power of 40W and any socket would be inside the built in wardrobe around head height so no chance of someone coming along and plugging in any other electrical devices. Bringing the power in thru the ceiling will be hell of a lot less hassle for me than pulling up floorboards inside and outside the wardrobe so that's my main motivation just wondering if it would be outside of any current regs or unsafe to do so.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm sure others will add to this but here's my 2p worth. No technical reason why it can't be done (as long as the correct cable and JB is used), you have a number of options such as installing a 5A socket and putting a 5A plug on your TV (although this would remove the extra fuse for the TV so make it more likely to blow the lighting circuit out) or install a FCU behind the 13A socket with a 5A fuse in. Even if you put a normal 13A socket in as long as the circuit is protected properly it cannot be overloaded.

Other things to consider (not necessarily problems) if there's a fault with your TV it could knock out your lighting circuit and cause you or someone else to fall down the stairs and you wouldn't want that + is anything else important on that circuit like a smoke alarm? Also seem as it's a general use socket the circuit should be RCD protected...

I've done this (awaiting someone to point out a reg I've contravened...). I put an FCU with 3a fuse before the socket and a label on the socket stating TV only. Householder informed of the arrangement and noted on cert...couldn't think of any more things to do to make it acceptable other than wiring it into the socket circuit!

Make sure the circuit has RCD protection though as your still adding a socket outlet to the circuit, and RCD protection should be before the cable addition if the cable is buried in a wall less than 50mm.

Thanks for the replies, the fuse board was only recently upgraded so the RCD protection is there and nothing else on the lighting circuit like smoke alarms.

So it seems it's OK to do then and more a case of trying to ensure it's idiot proof to avoid anyone sticking some load other than the TV on the circuit. With the LED having a maximum of 40watts it#s probably more likely the lights will knock out the tv I guess.

Sponsored Links
Other things to consider (not necessarily problems) if there's a fault with your TV it could knock out your lighting circuit
While that is true I think the chances of a TV knocking out a lighting circuit are FAR lower than the chances of a blown lightbulb knocking one out. If you consider loss of light to be unacceptably hazardous in a particular scenario then you should be fitting either emergency lighting units or multiple lighting circuits.

I've just installed a new TV in the bedroom mounted on a built in wardrobe and wondering if there's any valid reason in the regs why I can't power it from the lighting circuit......
It's a LED TV with max power of 40W.......... just wondering if it would be outside of any current regs or unsafe to do so.
I've done this (awaiting someone to point out a reg I've contravened...). I put an FCU with 3a fuse before the socket and a label on the socket stating TV only. Householder informed of the arrangement and noted on cert...couldn't think of any more things to do to make it acceptable other than wiring it into the socket circuit!
There is nothing in the requirements that says you cannot install a socket outlet from a lighting circuit.
Obviously considerations need to be made regarding the rating of the appliance/appliances and the suitability of the the circuit regarding cable and fuse/protective device ratings.
In these case it would be wise to install 5A outlet to wall and 5A plugs to appliance.
So it would then help prevent an overload occurring if an appliance with a greater output valve of 1150 Watts were to be plugged in to a standard 13A outlet.
NB: Also some older lighting circuits do not have a CPC/earth cable and this would need to be rectified as not all plug in appliance are class II

I'm sure others will add to this but here's my 2p worth. No technical reason why it can't be done (as long as the correct cable and JB is used), you have a number of options such as installing a 5A socket and putting a 5A plug on your TV (although this would remove the extra fuse for the TV so make it more likely to blow the lighting circuit out) or install a FCU behind the 13A socket with a 5A fuse in. Even if you put a normal 13A socket in as long as the circuit is protected properly it cannot be overloaded.

Other things to consider (not necessarily problems) if there's a fault with your TV it could knock out your lighting circuit and cause you or someone else to fall down the stairs and you wouldn't want that + is anything else important on that circuit like a smoke alarm? Also seem as it's a general use socket the circuit should be RCD protected...

Modern MK 5 amp plugs have a fuse in them now, so a 3 amp fuse could be fitted - though it's no big issue whatsoever.

Modern MK 5 amp plugs have a fuse in them now, so a 3 amp fuse could be fitted - though it's no big issue whatsoever.
Indeed, but if one wanted to be pedantic, there are an awful lot of 5A plugs out there which don't have fuses - so one could theoretically not guarantee that something attached to an unfused 5A plug would never be plugged into the socket. However, I would personally not lose a second's sleep over that!

Kind Regards, John.

The plug shown above doesn't have any protection on the L & N pins, it looks like a modern one, I though they always had protection now?!

What's the point of THIS?
Ask MK?

But back to the plot....

I've never understood why people who are perfectly happy to install 32A ring finals with cable rated at 20A and enough sockets to be able to draw several hundred amps in theory suddenly turn to jelly at the thought of a 6A radial with cable rated at much more than that and one socket which could in theory draw more than the breaker will allow.

As long as the cable is OK to be on a 6A breaker then nothing bad will happen if someone plugs in a 3kW heater. Or even 2 x 3kW heaters if it's a double.

I've never understood why people who are perfectly happy to install 32A ring finals with cable rated at 20A and enough sockets to be able to draw several hundred amps in theory suddenly turn to jelly at the thought of a 6A radial with cable rated at much more than that and one socket which could in theory draw more than the breaker will allow. ... As long as the cable is OK to be on a 6A breaker then nothing bad will happen if someone plugs in a 3kW heater. Or even 2 x 3kW heaters if it's a double.
I totally agree with all that, BUT, in the context of this thread, the question surely is whether the "40W LED TV" will come with a mains lead that can be adequately protected by a 6A MCB. If not, then one of those MK plugs with a 3A or 1A fuse in it (assuming such are available - do they use standard BS 1362 fuses?) may perhaps be a solution.

Kind Regards, John

The 40W LED TV will come with a lead with a BS 1363 plug containing the appropriate fuse.

Plug it into a BS 1363 socket.

Job done.

It's all the malarkey about having to put a 2A or 5A BS 546 socket in because it's a 6A lighting circuit which is misguided, complicating and unhelpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back