Wiring into an external garage one meter from house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

My brother in law has bought a new build detached property. The garage is detached and no more than one meter from the house itself.

I have looked all through the regs book and can't find anything relating to the requirement for supply cabling to the garage.

The idea is to wire sockets from a 13a FCU from the downstairs ring-main (RCD protected) into the garage, going down the wall about 20" under one 2 by 2 slab into the garage.

We wanted to supply lighting from a further FCU to control lighting.

I had originally hoped to ensure mechanical protection by way of a conduit system. Can anybody tell me the requirement for supply cabling to this sort of installation? Does it need to be SWA?

It is my understanding that this is notifiable also due to being an detached garage, is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have looked all through the regs book and can't find anything relating to the requirement for supply cabling to the garage.
Chapters 41, 42, 43, 44, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55.

Can anybody tell me the requirement for supply cabling to this sort of installation?

Does it need to be SWA?
By far and away the easiest type to use.

It is my understanding that this is notifiable also due to being an detached garage, is this correct?
No. See Schedule 4.

Thanks for the help!

I've read the schedule 4 now, thanks. But to be honest it's still not clear. I phoned an electrician today who told me it is notifiable because its detached and if it was attached it wouldn't be? :confused:

Would there be anything wrong with the way I want to do this do you think?

Sponsored Links
I beg to differ.

I agree with the electrician - it's notifiable.

It's nothing to do with the 'extending of the circuit' - it's the fact that the supply is crossing the garden/path outside.

Approved document P states that work in a shed or detached garage is not notifiable unless it involves new outdoor wiring.
In this case, it does, so it's notifiable.

It'll be much easier to run in SWA, as using conduit underground will require you to work in metal, which isn't going to be possible short of buying a fair bit of tooling and learning how to use it.

You still need to make sure you assemble the glands properly with SWA, of course, but if you've got a couple of spanners, a hacksaw and a little knowhow, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you to all of you that have responded.

I have worked with SWA before so will look to go for this option. Is it 4mm SWA I should use?

My only concern is, with it being a new build house that they will not be looking to sell for some time... Will this void the building insurance if do this? I've been advised that this is a problem when making such alterations.

Thanks

I beg to differ.

I agree with the electrician - it's notifiable.
So which clouds over when you get to 2(c)(ii) - your eyes or your brain?

It's nothing to do with the 'extending of the circuit'
It's everything to do with that.

- it's the fact that the supply is crossing the garden/path outside.
Please show me where Schedule 4 lists that as meaning that the usual exemption in 2(c)(ii) does not apply.

The guy wants to put sockets etc in his garage, not a car port - it's not outdoors.

Approved document P states that work in a shed or detached garage is not notifiable unless it involves new outdoor wiring.
In this case, it does, so it's notifiable.
Approved Document P does not define the law.

It is wrong.

Is it 4mm SWA I should use?
Absolutely pointless for 13A over such a short distance - 1.5mm² would do.

BUT - no point in ever having to dig up the paving should things change - it's such a short distance the cost will be trivial - use 10mm².

My only concern is, with it being a new build house that they will not be looking to sell for some time... Will this void the building insurance if do this? I've been advised that this is a problem when making such alterations.
They need to check the small print of their insurance in case it does say anything about having to use a qualified electrician.

Reading the exact words in Sched 4, I take the wards
an outdoor lighting or electric power installation
to mean that where the installation contains both wiring and lighting and power points.
I certainly would not consider a cable between a house and a garage/shed to be covered by this, nor the installation in that garage/shed.

I am willing to accept that I may be misinterpretation the wording however.

Wind your neck in, BAS, and admit you are wrong this time.

Garden power and lighting are special installations - this includes cables crossing 'gardens', for want of a better word.

Regardless of the distance, to get to a detached garage, you are crossing the 'garden' - so it's notifiable.

If I take any notice of you, I might as well throw 'Doc P' in the bin, along with my 'Electricians Guide to the Building Regs' - because it says it in there, as well. :)

There is also apparrantly a point outside that the electricians have placed a blank face over - is this so that you can attatch an IP rated outside socket if you wanted to? or can I use this as the starting point for the SWA?

This is a bit of a grey area as I've contacted 3 local electricians who are saying different things...

If it is notifiable - then what is the process for this? I complete the work, and is it building control i notify? Do we have to pay an electrician to come and test/inspect?

Apologies for all the questions - your advice is really appreciated.

Taken from 'Notifiable electrical work descriptors
Guidance for CPS registrants' - Published by the LABC
:-

This guide has been prepared as a result of feedback from Competent Persons Scheme Operators and enterprises that are registered with the scheme operators. The aim of the guide is to simplify the choice of notifiable works as well as enabling all electrical scheme operators to give a consistent message to reduce confusion in the industry.

7. Lighting/power outdoors

This is to be used when installing fixed electrical equipment such as an external socket-outlet, garden lighting or supply to an outbuilding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back