Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was seeking some advice on wiring a light. The new light I have has 4 wires:

- 1 green&black earth
- 1 non-coloured but has earth symbol on it
- 1 non-coloured (assuming live)
- 1 essentially non-coloured but may have black tinge (assuming neutral)

DSC00169s.jpg

From the ceiling I have following:
- 2 blue
- 2 black
- 4 red
- 2 green and yellow
- 1 uncovered wire

The light is controlled by 2 switches

DSC00171s.jpg

DSC00172s.jpg

I will have to get some connectors, but basically wanted confirmation on what should connect to what..

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Certainly the wiring to that round box needs attention, the earths should not be bundled together in tape like that. Some people think earths are optional and disregard them like this. They are NOT, they are the most important!

Anyway, connect the two earths together, and the other two are live and neutral.

When you disconnect everything from that box, NOTE WHAT GOES WHERE and replicate these connections EXACTLY in the new fitting - it WONT work any other way. (I emphasise this bit because we get so many people asking AFTER they have disconnected everything and its so much harder then)

Something unusual is going on here. :confused: Take a closer look at those four cables and see if you can find two yellow wires. If I'm right there'll be a LOT of wires stuffed into that box. As Steve says, you must take note of EXACTLY what goes where or you'll have terrible trouble sorting it all out.
pullhair.gif
Label each wire and make a careful drawing of how they are all connected.

Those bare earth wires twisted together outside the box will be needed. There should be four of them, one from each cable, but I don't think I can see that many. If they aren't all there, you'll have to strip the offending cable(s) back and find the missing ones. ALL FOUR EARTHS must be connected to the earth wires in the new lamp. Speaking of which --

I don't like the way that one of three identical wires is only labelled with a barely attached sticker. :eek: How can you be sure that it hasn't already fallen off and been put back on the wrong one? :!: :!: :!:

You really need to check for continuity from the supposed earth wire to the metalwork at the bottom of the chain. While you're at it, you might as well make sure that there's NO continuity between either of the other two and the metal. If you don't have a meter, I suggest you get one. It'll be a good investment if you plan to do any electrical work. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Just a thought...

The OP said the light is controlled by two switches (2-way) could the 3C&E have been looped at the light which would account for the blue cables?

diesel75 - can you post up a pic of the old ceiling rose connections?

I agree with space cat, before the new fitting is connected do a continuity check on each of the clear wires to be certain which one is which.

All the best
Dan

Hi - here is a pic of the ceiling rose, just a live and neutral connecting to the light no earth

DSC00164s.jpg

thanks

I have just cut the wires from the light in order to shorten them and can clarify what colour wires I have, basically they are 3 wires which are see through but have a coloured thread in them - which I couldnt see until I cut!

green & yellow

green thread
blue thread
clear (no thread, but labelled as earth)

being that blue should be neutral, that would make green live?? thats clearly bonkers, so have emailed the company who I have purchased the (£55) light from.

:mad:

What sort of fitting is it, BC or ES?
Can you bell them out with a multimeter to see which wire goes where - 2 will go to the lamp pickups and one - more than likely the one with the earth marking will go to the lampholder chassis.

Been in contact with the company, who have said that the earth should be labelled correctly, but also said green is unlikely to be live........... so I have bitten the bullet and have arranged for our electrician to come round.

Thanks for peoples responses.

dannyboi2003 said:
could the 3C&E have been looped at the light

I think so. All reds together as live feed, two blues supplying switched live to the light and two yellows all on their own because they go off to the COMs in the 2-way switches. Along with the neutrals, that's all four terminals used up and so the earths got twisted together outside the box.

Diesel75, your new light fitting needs an earth so you'll need a fifth terminal in the box. Have you found all four earth wires yet? :?: :?: :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back