Wiring of ceiling fan query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just brought a Vienna Ceiling Fan (from Argos 432/3790) to replace my old light in the bedroom (this hot weather is killing me!).

All I wanted to do was connect up the fan so that the wall switch deals with the lights and the pull cord deals with the fan (should have been so easy!!).

The instructions given are not very helpful and have advised to connect the existing earth to ceiling mount earth (happy with this), neutral to ceiling mount neutral (happy with this) and live to 2 lives (brown and red) in the ceiling mount (the mount only has a 3 way block).

All this would be fine, however this connection says it will use the pull cords to operate the fan and light (not quite what I wanted!!).

Any help over the matter would be appreciated, I have looked at some other web sites and them seem to indicate I need to have a live from the wall switch to the ceiling mount and another live (not from the wall switch) to a different live on the ceiling mount (showing a 4 way block).

If anyone can assist I would be grateful (or please let me know if you need further information - I'm more than happy to take some pictures of the ceiling fan and post them if it helps.

many thanks all

Charlotte

Sponsored Links
How many wires are there at the light point, & what colours are they?

How many wires are there in the fan, & what colours are they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back