Wiring Outdoor wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

another post about wiring a PIR light outside, which inside also has a light switch.- I have searched but was unable to find an answer.

So from my household supply I have earth, live, neutral but then from the light I have from the sensor I have red, brown and blue, and the lamp has earth, blue and brown.

Am I right in assuming that the 2 browns and single red from the lamp/sensor would be wired to the red on the household supply. Not sure I can even fit 3 wires into one!

There is a fourth block but the instructions are quite hazy about that saying it's for loop termination - whatever that means.

It's a Ducat 7019 light from B and Q by the way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So from my household supply I have earth, live, neutral but then from the light I have from the sensor I have red, brown and blue, and the lamp has earth, blue and brown.

Am I right in assuming that the 2 browns and single red from the lamp/sensor would be wired to the red on the household supply. Not sure I can even fit 3 wires into one!
Is this a new installation or are you replacing an older unit?
Sensor? what sensor the light comes with integral PIR does it not?
If so what core colours of the cables that come from the house supply?
and what do the wiring instructions included states?

Hello,

I'm replacing a unit that didn't have a PIR. And yes, the light comes with integrated PIR, sorry if that was unclear. From the house I have yellow, red, blue.

The instructions included are hopeless otherwise I would have no need to post here!

Thanks

And did you take note of where the previous wiring was ?
So you have three cores and no earth cable.
Do you have any means of testing for a phase conductor, such as multi-meter or two pole voltage indicator.
What wiring do you have at the switch that operates the light?
Without knowing what you have in place it would be difficult to state for sure what you need to do, first thing we need to do is identify what the cables are supplying to the circuit.
IE your red could be phase
your blue could be neutral
The yellow could have been used as and earth but should have been yellow and green.
or you could have a permanent live being feed to the light.
Can only guess at this moment, so more info will be required.

Sponsored Links
The previous wiring can be seen in photos old 1 and old 2 in my folder. The light switch is in the photo called switch. The terminals on it say in order, top left = way, L1 , (red wire),L2 (black wire) and there's also an earth.
Bottom = Com, (red wire)
Top right = Com (red wire)
Bottom right = Way , L1 (red) L2 (empty)

I don't have a multi-meter unfortunately.

Cheers

Better pic of the lamp below.

So what are we looking at, I can't see yellow, blue, red, earth cable from supply.
Can you please confirm what these pictures are?
Is picture one and two the existing fitting but not connected to your supply?
Have you picture of new fitting and supply cables, what do the instruction with it say?
where is the black sheathed flex coming from with brown and blue cores?

I don't have a multi-meter
You need one.

In the same way that you wouldn't attempt this job, or generally attempt other DIY jobs without basic tools like screwdrivers, hammer, pliers, saws etc, you shouldn't be doing anything electrical without a multimeter.

This looks ideal for a household starter set - multimeter, voltage indicator and dedicated continuity tester, all in a handy case: http://www.amprobe.eu/de_DE/showproduct/115/Junior-Set/

PDF brochure: http://www.amprobe.eu/de_DE/downloadfile/115/beschreibung_1/

All in German, unfortunately, as is the blurb on each product:

Multimeter: http://www.amprobe.eu/de_DE/showproductdata/487/Hexagon_55/

Voltage indicator: http://www.amprobe.eu/de_DE/showproduct/116/2000_α_(alpha)/

Continuity tester: http://www.amprobe.eu/de_DE/showproduct/481/TESTFIX/

but it is sold in the UK - the company is now owned by Fluke, and I guess they haven't got all the websites sorted out yet - contact them (http://www.fluke.co.uk) for info on where to buy.

Right now the English specs are still lurking on the Internet Time Machine from when Beha was an independent company:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060920022629/http://www.beha.com/files_uk/multimeter/93549.pdf

Also see another discussion here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26282 It's a few years old, so specific model number advice may be obsolete (and prices will be higher), but the generic advice is still sound.

So what are we looking at, I can't see yellow, blue, red, earth cable from supply.
Can you please confirm what these pictures are?
Is picture one and two the existing fitting but not connected to your supply?
Have you picture of new fitting and supply cables, what do the instruction with it say?
where is the black sheathed flex coming from with brown and blue cores?

Sorry about that - they were named accordingly in the album and I thought they would be here too. The first two pics are the previous light (non-PIR) , the one with the red wires is the internal light switch and the final one shows the wiring on the new PIR lamp.

The instructions only make mention of 3 wires - , blue (n), green/yellow(earth), brown (l). It also says 4th block provided for loop termination if required, as mentioned previously.

The black, sheathed flex seems to go to the light, the 3 single wires to the sensor

blank65x10t.gif
Bump 2:

first thing we need to do is identify what the cables are supplying to the circuit...Can only guess at this moment, so more info will be required.
I don't have a multi-meter unfortunately.
You need one.

Sorry about that - they were named accordingly in the album and I thought they would be here too. The first two pics are the previous light (non-PIR) , the one with the red wires is the internal light switch and the final one shows the wiring on the new PIR lamp.
The instructions only make mention of 3 wires - , blue (n), green/yellow(earth), brown (l). It also says 4th block provided for loop termination if required, as mentioned previously.
The black, sheathed flex seems to go to the light, the 3 single wires to the sensor
This still doesn't make any sense - hence no replies.
Manufacturers instructions will normally be relatively simple in so much that they require you to supply Permanent Line, Neutral and Earth to the lighting unit - this will allow the PIR to act as the switch.
The internal wiring to sensors etc are normally fixed by the manufacturer.
If, as you say in your initial post, you have an inside light switch then unless its double pole its not clear how are you getting your neutral to the new lamp. And you will be unlikely to need a loop terminal.
Nor can I see any sign of the power cables.

not withstanding all the electrical issues you have, you will be given good advice if you list.

for your information, you can get lighting which is pir operated, for courtesy and security, which can also be switched on until the next lux deactivation, for entertaining, by means of a manual overide "double "on off" click" of the switch.

This still doesn't make any sense - hence no replies.
Manufacturers instructions will normally be relatively simple in so much that they require you to supply Permanent Line, Neutral and Earth to the lighting unit - this will allow the PIR to act as the switch.
The internal wiring to sensors etc are normally fixed by the manufacturer.
If, as you say in your initial post, you have an inside light switch then unless its double pole its not clear how are you getting your neutral to the new lamp. And you will be unlikely to need a loop terminal.
Nor can I see any sign of the power cables.

I've spoken to the manufacturer and they state that the PIR wires should come ready assembled in the chock block. This is not the case so I assume this is a shop-opened unit and will return it.

I have also ordered a multi-meter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back