wiring runs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking that only a fused spur may be run diagonally when chased in a wall as the sparks on the job I am working on has run an un-fused spur diagonally.

Sponsored Links
NO! No! Never ever run a cable diagonally, unless you have very heavy earthed steel armour plating etc protecting it, as it can contravene the wiring regulations. (permitted zones etc).

Only run Vertically or Horizontally to the switch or socket etc.

to run outside of permitted routes you have to do one of the follwing

1: bury at least 50mm deep (not realistically going to happen)
2: protect from penatration (pretty hard considering the tools likely to be used on a wall)
3: cover the live cores with earthed metal (i think earthed metal cappingw ould do here the problem is how to earth it affectively)

Chappers - you seem to be consistently employing people who are incompetent. Is this because you won't pay realistic wages to get tradesmen who know what they are doing? What are you going to do come Jan 2005? If you're renovating property, do you not think that you have at least a moral, if not legal, obligation to your clients or prospective purchasers to ensure that all the work you do or have done complies with the relevant regulations?

Plugwash - capping does SFA in terms of mechanical protection. If protection is needed because the cable is neither in a prescribed zone nor 50mm deep then it will not satisfy that need.

Sponsored Links
a lot of it is common sense - if a cable runs diagonally how is anybody in the future supposed to even suspect it might be there when they come to hang a cupboard or picture? You can expect a cable to be run horizontally or vertically from a socket/switch/appliance, but not anywhere in a wall (ok, you should use a voltage checker think before drilling/hammering, but how many people do?).

can't remember exactly where i read it now but im pretty sure its an or between earthe metal or mechanical protection

the idea being that the earthe metal will cause rapid disconnection of the supply in the event of penatration

Actually Ban its not my job I have been helping a freind of mine with some chippy work on the weekends and while I was building and airing cupboard for him I noticed his sparks had run a socket in there I actually had to leave one side of the cupboard to finish off this weekend so the problem could be rectified
If you're renovating property, do you not think that you have at least a moral, if not legal, obligation to your clients or prospective purchasers to ensure that all the work you do or have done complies with the relevant regulations?

You have no idea of the quality of my work 2 years ago I had a mill conversion featured in home building and rennovating. All work I carry out complies totally with building regs. I always insist on a full test certificate from the two sparks I use if they carry out any exstensive work I also get a Landlords safety certificate for any gas work my plumbers carry out ,all at my expense I may add.

Thats why I ask questions to try and make sure what I do is correct some of us think we know everything and have too much pride to ask when there is a gap in our knowledge. I have yet to meet the man who knows everything about their trade, but rest assured when I do I shall be paying him double what you earn.

lol

gareth

Ah, I see.

So you were also just helping out a friend with the scaffolders who whacked a pole into overhead cables, and a labourer who out his foot through a ceiling.

I'm sorry I misunderstood - it read to me as though these were people you'd engaged to work on one of your projects.

chappers said:
I have yet to meet the man who knows everything about their trade, but rest assured when I do I shall be paying him double what you earn.
That I doubt.

They were we all have accidents mate that doesn't make us bad at our jobs nor incompetent.
I've used that same scaffolder for nearly 10 years now and never had a problem. But then I'm sure youv'e never made a mistake or done anything wrong ever, but yes one of my labourers can be a bit of a clumsy oaf sometimes.

chappers said:
I'm sure youv'e never made a mistake or done anything wrong ever.
I'm not!

OK - it was just that in the space of a few days you'd reported your Ben Franklin-wannabe scaffolder, your oafish labourer and (what I thought was) your sparky running cables where any decent sparky wouldn't, and I guess I added 1+1+1 and got 4 or 5, so I apologise for saying what I did about your activities.

not a problem previous to those comments I have found you most helpful and from what I have seen on here you seem to know what you aare talking about. Its just sparks is your thing and I have to have a general knowledge of all trades, sparks is just probasbly my weakest thing and I know how important it is to get it right,hence my questions.Knowing the right way adds to my knowledge base. Thats all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back