Wiring Speech Dialler Via RJ45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping someone could help me out. I'm attempting to connect a Speech Dialler via an Ethernet Port.

I was assuming my client was having a Phone Line installed for the Speech Dialler, but now he is asking if I can connect through the existing Ethernet Ports he has. He has a phone connected to the RJ45 Port, which he has to dial 9 to get an outside line. Is it possible for me to connect in the same way, maybe tap onto the back of the Ethernet Port and program the Speech Dialler to dial 9 first?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What kind of system is this? Is the phone VOIP? If so I think you'd need a VOIP dialler or some sort of adapter - a standard one just wont work.

Unless he's just run his phone system over ethernet, in which case its possible to just use an RJ45 adaptor to change the phone jack to a RJ45.

Cheers for reply.

VOIP? The Speech Dialler is Menvier SD1 which connected on to Scantronic Panel. Like I say, he was originally getting a separate line in for the Alarm but has now decided not to.

I was hopefully going to connect on to the back of the RJ45 Port like you can on a normal Phone Line (2 & 5?), or A & B on a block terminal.

If they have to dial 9 then it is a PBX not a BT line, you need to find out whether this is a VOIP, analogue or digital system. If VOIP you would need to patch a standard analogue line over the RJ45 cabling with a kit like this :-

http://www.bttorj45.com/BTtoRJ45kitRJ45V1S.html

Depending on the spec of the sysetm you should be able to still have the VOIP device on the spare pairs.

If they are connecting a standard analogue phone(ie, you can plug this phone into any BT LINE & it works) then the phones usually connect to the RJ45 ports via BT to RJ45 converters like these :-

http://www.bttorj45.com/RJ45toBTadaptormaster.html

In which case you can just use a standard BT doubler to connect the phone & the dialer (will need to program to dial 9 first).

Sponsored Links
The speech dialer will almost certainly be designed for connection to a regular telephone-line interface unless it's specifically mentioned as being a VoIP unit.

When you say there is a phone connected to the Ethernet port (which, despite the popular misuse of term, is not RJ45, by the way), is it a specific VoIP phone with only an Ethernet connection, or is it a regular phone connected to the port via an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter)?

If the latter, then you would be able to wire the dialer to the FXS port of the adapter. If the former, then you would need to add a suitable ATA to interface it with the VoIP link (or wire back to some other part of the system which provides a regular telephone-line interface).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back