wiring switch

Sponsored Links
no mate nothing happens

that simply cannot be true...

you said...

When the left switch is off the right turns the hallway on/off. With the left switch on the right turns the hallway and kitchen on/off

so with the left OFF the and the right ON, the hallway light is ON
with the left ON and the right ON, the hallway light is ON and kitchen light is ON

ergo with the right switch ON, turning te left one on and off WILL turn the kitchen light on and off... it simply HAS to...

Just seen the switch is upside down. When turned the right way-

when the left switch is off no lights are on and the right switch doesnt work on on or off.

when the left switch is on the hallway lights come on with the right switch on on and and when the right switch is off both the kitchen and hallway are on

Sponsored Links
im not clever at reading and understanding so i need someone to tell me what wires to put where

how far's lincolnshire from me? I can be there inthe morning if you pay for a full tank of petrol...:)

i dont expect anyone to drive to mine just need an idea how to wire the switch

Normally it can be solved
However, to me it seems It unclear what you have.
Do you have a digital camera

i do but its hard to get a decent picture, it cant be any clearer than the last drawing i did of the 3 switches

ive been on this forum all day and still no answer just to wire a switch, looks like ill have to get a sparky

if you did as you were asked by me and got us the photo's we needed we might have a better chance..
simply drawing a box with 2x T+E and 2X singles into it doesn't help anyone at all..
your descriptions aren't the clearest either..
you also say that the other switches are right yet it's not worked right since you've been there..
for all we know it can't be solved because there is no live feed for the kitchen lights only the 2 strappers from the 2 way..

If it has never worked, maybe it cant work, maybe a numpty put the cables in and hasnt put enough cables in. If you are not very clever then why not read through the wiki page of electrics, you can start learning and understanding how one way switches work, then progress on to other types of switching and how they work, and with a multimeter it can be sorted, any of the sparks ect on here could sort out your problem with a multimeter IF it can be fixed.

just rang who i brought the house off said all the electrics worked fine till he changed a few switches, namely the one im trying to change. I can get a mutimeter from work, what do you need to know for me to sort this is it just the live feed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back