Wiring towel radiator heating element

Thanks all.

Just to be clear. A spur using a 1.5m2 cable from my double socket to a 13amp switched fused FCU, the flex of the heating element to the FCU. This should be sufficient, safe and legal.

Sponsored Links
Now a some tricky questions.
What bathroom zone is the element going to be located?
Where are you planning to put the switched, fused connection unit?
Is the socket circuit RCD protected?

Now a some tricky questions.
What bathroom zone is the element going to be located?
Where are you planning to put the switched, fused connection unit?
Is the socket circuit RCD protected?
Thanks,

Its not in any of the bathroom zones.
Switched FCU will be outside the bathroom
I guess RCD protection will come from the fuse box as im spurring off one of its circuits. hope that makes sense.

Don’t guess on the RCD question.
If you have a fuse box then you will not have an RCD!

When you bring electricity into a bathroom you MUST have a RCD on the circuit. It’s a mandatory requirement.

Maybe you don’t mean fuse box. Perhaps you mean consumer unit?
Maybe you are confusing RCDs and MCBs?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

When you bring electricity into a bathroom you MUST have a RCD on the circuit. It’s a mandatory requirement.

you are right. i getting muddled up. I will check when i get home from work. Thanks for the image.

got the kids to send me a photo. and the circuit im spurring off goes back to and MCB. it does not have the test button.

got the kids to send me a photo. and the circuit im spurring off goes back to and MCB. it does not have the test button.
Yes, but there may be a RCD protecting that and some other circuits.
Show us the photo. Use the “attach files” button.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-25 at 3.24.11 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-25 at 3.24.11 PM.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 55
Thanks all.

Just to be clear. A spur using a 1.5m2 cable from my double socket to a 13amp switched fused FCU, the flex of the heating element to the FCU. This should be sufficient, safe and legal.
Yes.

@Robotman there are several different people on this forum. Many, such as @Harry Bloomfield who are, or were experienced electricians.
Then there are others who dont have the same experience, or dont know what they are talking about, or just like to throw in spurious ideas (these just clog up the proper guidance that you are seeking).

Obviously I am too polite to name names of the misleaders, but i'll let you decide..;)

Many, who are, or were experienced electricians.
Seem to be out of date. It was traditional for FCUs to be fed with 2.5mm spurs, BUT it has now been realised that is not necessary as the max load that can be drawn is 13 amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back