Wiring two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some basic questions trying to replace a two way switch (a landing light where there is a switch at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom)

Currently there is 2 live wires, 2 neutral wires and another neutral wire which I assume is a loop wire?

In my new switch do I put:

1) the 2 red wires into the COM bit?
2) one neutral into L1 and one neutral into L2?
3) the other neutral/loop wire into the N/LOOP bit?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Hi jchannon,

None of the wires there are neutral that is why the blacks are sleeved with red sleeving. They are all live. In your new switch the single black wire at the top goes into the COM. The other pair of black wires go into L1 and the two reds go into L2. Nothing goes into the Loop.

Huggybear.

Neutral is the name given to the conductor which completes the circuit from the load(light) back to the supply.

It is not a generic name for any black or blue wire.

Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

Sponsored Links
Hi jchannon,

In your new switch the single black wire at the top goes into the COM. The other pair of black wires go into L1 and the two reds go into L2. Nothing goes into the Loop.

Huggybear.

Which is exactly how the existing switch is wired. Why did you think the new one would be any different?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back