Wiring under cabinet led lights to cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey thanks for taking time to read this,
I have 4 triangular low watt led lights I would like to fit under my wall units, I would like to power them from my cooker hood, the hood has a main power cable coming in from the ceiling and connected to the hood cable by a connector block, I would like to know how I can connect the 4 lights to this main power cable if possible thanks
20181013_222425.jpg
Screenshot_20181013-224553_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes main voltage,
The cooker hood switch on the grid plate isolates the power to hood so was thinking by switchibg the hood on at the grid plate the lights would come on

Sponsored Links
I would want a separate switch, if it were me, but if you are happy with the grid switch…
Then
You just need to connect the LED lights into the plastic junction box, where the white lead from the cooker hood connects.
You may need to use a bigger junction box, if there are a number of cables connecting at one point.

Thanks
Do I need to fuse the led cables as they are alot thinner? What would be the process to fit a switch, I would prefer a switch too but didn't know how to

Also the cables are only 1.5metre can I extend them using new cable and junction boxes

Isn’t there a fuse in the grid switch, it should be 3 or 5 amp.??
If so you don’t need another one.
If the wires aren’t long enough, then of course you’ll need to extend them. Any joint needs to be in an enclosure.
5A round junction boxes are made for the job, or something like this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/debox-in-line-connector-box/8692h

If you want a separate switch, it needs to go in the live feed to the lights. Like any other light switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back