Wiser Smart TRV Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There appears to be a few posts on Wiser TRV's.

Ridiculous flaw in the Drayton Wiser system​

This one is for schedules changing and opening vales at the wrong time.

and another on the schieder wiser forum.

Wiser TRV not fully closing​

I have a system with 9 x smart TRV's fitter Oct 22. All appeared ok but this year spotted some anomalies and I am looking for others who have the same system to try and get some similar testing carried out. Carried out all of the obvious processes, new batteries, recalibration, swapping between radiators etc.

1. at least 3 of the radiators do not fully close.
2. some random openng of valves when not following a schedule

a) Valves not fully closed so heating rooms when not required.
Swapped the Smart TRV head ( STRV) with other radiators and some move with the head, one the same radiator still does not close properly even though a normal manual trv works fine.

b) A room had the schedule turned off ( do not follow) and the radiator just opened the valve and even though the max in the schedule was 20 it was still rising an hour later at 23. No reason for this.

c) Had the system set to Away Mode for testing.
Let the rooms all cool down and then boost one room for 30 mins ( this should only open the one valve as the rest of the sytem is in away mode so none following any schedule.
I could see the radiators that bleed rising and 1 hour later another room fired up for no reason. Not just rising a little and then shutting down but continuous heat to the radiator.

So I am looking for anyone who wants to run similar tests to see if this issue with Strv's not shutting the valve completely is a bigger problem. I do not know how many months this has been going on so wasted energy.

So first test would be to go to Settings>Away Mode>Heating Setpoint Set to a very low temperature 10 degrees
Then go to Automation
Set the system to Away Mode
Wait for the temp to fall in all rooms.

Home
Select the Boost for one room that has a single radiator for 30 minutes.

30 minutes later
Insights
Heat report at bottom of screen
scroll down
Select all rooms.

Now view the graph as only the boosted radiator shoul be rising on the graph.

Happy to make contact directly with anyone that wants to talk about this more and maybe provide a single update for the forum later

Peter

Sponsored Links
The valve not closing fully has been an issue reported a long time ago on other forums and to Drayton, a fix is still outstanding but don't hold your breath as Drayton are not great at releasing firmware updates for issues or enhancements.

Mister Banks, Please advise on which other forums this has been reported as I will consolidate the issues as this is faulty product, potentially miss selling, even making claims of upto 19% savings. Well if the radiators do not shut down, open at unwanted times that would blow any potential savings very quickly.

I don't see the valve not closing issue, but when I fitted my system I also replaced all the valves with Drayton auto balancing valves.

If the valve is not closing then it sounds like there is not enough travel from the Wiser head to push the pin right down, I doubt this can be fixed with firmware.

The Wiser TRVs are not at all accurate with regards to temperature, they try and estimate the temperature at the centre of the room, if you need accuracy then use a Wiser thermostat in those rooms.

If a room has no schedule it will use the Wiser default, apparently a feature.

Overall I find the system very good and have had no issues with it since understanding its quirks.

Sponsored Links
The issue has been reported on the Schneider community forum's and on the Home Assistant Wiser integration forum.

I don't see the valve not closing issue, but when I fitted my system I also replaced all the valves with Drayton auto balancing valves.

If the valve is not closing then it sounds like there is not enough travel from the Wiser head to push the pin right down, I doubt this can be fixed with firmware.

The Wiser TRVs are not at all accurate with regards to temperature, they try and estimate the temperature at the centre of the room, if you need accuracy then use a Wiser thermostat in those rooms.

Overall I find the system very good and have had no issues with it since understanding its quirks.
I have had to replace some of my Wiser TRV’s with manual TRV’s due to how inaccurate they are. They read to low when heating is off and too high when it’s on!

I have looked into the travel of the plunger on the pin and on one I fitted a metal cap to raise the pin so that there could be no issue with travel. Unfortunately that one still does not close the valve properly.

Agree the default is in the Automations settings. One room is shut down as not used. Overnight it switches in a couple of times to raise the temp half a degree. Thats ok, but then it fires up and raises the temp 3 degrees when the setting is do not follow schedule.

Today set the default to 13.5 degrees so I can see any rooms not following if they open at any time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back