Wood block floor - best way to finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time poster. We were lucky enough to move in to a new home recently that has beautiful wood block flooring throughout.
I have recently put in many, many, many hours in to removing the old layers of horrible dark brown stain and now have the wood back to a natural and level finish.

Problem is, what do I do now. I have hgeard so many differing suggestions on teh best way to finish the floor. Some say i should wax it before varnishing, some say white spirit is what's required and some say that plain old hot water will do.
Then, some say you should use a wide brush to apply the varnish, others say a roller is fine and saves time.

Other conflicting info I'm getting is what to do between coats of varnish. I've been told that i should use a very fine sand paper between coats but someone else has told me that I don't need to do this at all. Noth are as adament as each other!

I'm cracking up! My wife and I are now in total conflict as to what to do for the best. Her friends tell her one thing and mine tell me another!!
ARGHH! :eek:

Can anyone please help? Anyone who has had a similar experience would be great.

Many Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Are the blocks Oak?
Instead of varnishing/lacquering why not apply Hardwaxoil (2 in 1 product: oil to 'seal' the floor, wax for wear and tear layer). Is very easy to apply and also, when there are minor damages later to the floor more easier to 'restore' then when varnished/lacquered.

Regards

OSMO Polyx hardwax oil - brilliant.
I've used it extensively on oak floors, oak stairs, etc. and now I won't use anything else, especially not varnish. 2 coats, apply by rag, you can lightly rub down with 0000 grade wire wool between coats if you want an especially good finish.
easily repaired (unlike a worn varnished surface)
everything that wood you like says!

fairly dear, but well worth it and goes a long way - you don't have to load it on.

Thanks for the response guys.
Have now finished the floor.

it's a mixture of several types of wood actually, some mahogany, some oak, and various others. give it a really nice multi-colour.

I opted in the end to use a clear, matt varnish. Put down six coats and sanded down the fifth very lightly before the final coat.

Even if i do say so myself it looks absolutely gorgeous! Bloody hard work but well worth the effort.

New furniture arrives Saturday!

Good times.

Sponsored Links
You might want to buy some felt pads to protect your new floor finish from furniture scratching it ;))

Eek.

Guess we'll have to see. It seems pretty durable to be fair. Have tried scratching a patch in one hidden corner and it wasn't easy. Good old Ronseal Diamond Hard (allegedly!)

Fingers crossed it'll be ok.

What sort of finish does the oil give you? We badly wanted a very 'natural' finish with little or discolouration or darkening of the wood and we also wanted it Matt.
With the oil being 'wet' does it not darken the wood and give it a glossy finish?

The appearance of a wax/oiled floor depends on several things:
the product used, the layers applied and the 'elbow grease' used by buffing.
Like all finishes oil on an unfinished floor colours the boards a bit darker, or as we say: brings out the character of the floor.
The natural hardwaxoil, many times discussed here, should bring a natural 'golden' colour to Oak flooring. Hardwaxoil is now also available in colours, from bleached look to very dark 'Antique' colours or even cherry and mahogany red.

P.S. I know you find your layer pretty hardwearing, but frequently shoving chairs around (like dining chairs) will 'damage' your layer unnoticed (until it's to late of course and harm is done). Better safe then sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back