Wood-burning stove - buried air supply?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not quite sure if this is the right section to ask in, but here goes.......

We are just about to order a stove and, before the installer arrives, i want to sort out the constructional hearth. This raises a couple of questions.....

1. Our chosen stove, the Contura i5, requires an "air connection for optimum function and efficiency", measuring 100mm diameter for lengths of over 1 metre. I was thinking of routing this beneath the suspended timber floor of the room in which the stove stands. This seems to have the advantage of ensuring that the air under the floor is regularly changed and may, thereby, improve the existing underfloor damp problem. Opinions?!

2. If we go for this underfloor route, what should the duct be made from? Given that it has to pass down through the concrete hearth i was doubting whether aluminium or steel would have enough strength. My only other idea though was using either ceramic or plastic (!) drain pipe - at least for the sections that will be buried. This seemed a bit odd, so i thought it best to get an expert opinion.......

Any help hugely appreciated!

Crawf

Sponsored Links
I've seen this done by a local Hetas installer......they used a 100mm diameter stainless flexible pipe that passed through the concrete hearth and into the underfloor space.
I've absolutely no idea if this was kosher, but presumably it was......the stove is very efficient, at any rate and saves on a through draught through the room.
John :)

The ducting should be non combustible and should terminate outside....Having said that, if your home was built before 2005, then you don't need the extra ducting as the fire has a nominal output of 5kW

the fire has a nominal output of 5kW

It's 9kW according to their website...

OP - Grouch is correct in that the ducting should be made of a non-combustible material and should be in a continuous length to a termination on an outside wall. Make sure it's not at risk of filling with water.

Are you building a new constructional hearth or updating your existing one? Are you aware of the current requirements?

Sponsored Links
Nominal output is the number that you need to use... So it's a 5kW stove...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back