Wood glued over flat roof - will this last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our builder told us he used glue to attach treated wood over flat GPR garage roof in order to extend our pitched porch roof over front of garage (he built the frame in wood and glued it over the GPR flat roof). Is this acceptable, to use glue to attach wood? My concern is that its not strong enough and our new pitched porch roof would fly away in a storm from the glue giving away

Sponsored Links
Potentially yes, it could lift.
Why didn't he use any mechanical fixings?
Plates, brackets, straps, etc. are cheap enough.
Is it too late to remedy?
Have you got access to it?

Hi,

it’s still fixable/ they have access. can you see in the picture the wood glued to the flat roof? What can be done to fix it more securely? I don’t think they should drill through the roof and create holes that can cause leak? Unless it can be sealed after drilling hole n screw with something on top? Let me know options. Thanks

Attachments

• 67CF525E-F2FA-444A-9639-39084E2CA372.jpeg
    67CF525E-F2FA-444A-9639-39084E2CA372.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 125
Sorry, I can't see what the fixed with wood glue.
Can you circle it in the picture please?

Sponsored Links
Attached

Attachments

• 29395575-061D-46F1-8EF2-4E4AE855000C.jpeg
    29395575-061D-46F1-8EF2-4E4AE855000C.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 114
It should be fixed/ screwed down through the roof and the grp run up from the existing roof and under whatever cladding they are using for a finish.

Did they run out of screws?
Did they check in the saddles outside you front door?

you say wood glue what exactly does he mean ??
wood glue can be pva but a large container off pva is not wood glue it is more diluted and off minimal strength in general it will come in 500-iL bottle costing around £5-10
if its 5L and a builder has it its not wood glue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back