Wood planer advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My guitar building project is actually starting to take shape now, but I have come across one little snag. My main body wood took a hit from a falling drill last night (don't ask) and I need to get rid of a dent. I dont want to plane it down and redraw if I can help it but does anybody know if I was to cut it out using a band saw then pass it through a thicknesser planer would it work. Here is the shape I have concerns that the horns and points may get damaged.
IMAG0182 by pauliehinton, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Why not make a template of the shape, and then pass the complete board through the planer / thicknesser?
You could probably see your pencil line through the paper, tracing style.
John :)

I am thinking thats the probably going to be the best solution, I was hoping now to do, I have a walnut top which I was going to use at some point. That leaves me with the option of being able to use a crude filler on the dent and then just cover it up, but I still loose the shape unless I cut the body first then use the shape as a template for the walnut

Sponsored Links
Sorry you will have to forgive my ignorrance, I am an absolute novice with woodworking, I am doing this as a way to remember my grandad so I am learning on the spot. Can you explain to me what that process would do?

Don't worry i googled it, wood this work on a dent thats only 5mm across it doesnt seem too accurate

have used it in the past on some finished timber,but wether it will work on yours.BLIND STAG in afraid.

Thats cool thank you for the advice, I think I will just cover it in walnut and forget it ever happened, I don't suppose grain filler would back fill it at all?

What thickness is the walnut facing you going to put on to the body Paul?
Also have to ask if it's a left handed guitar your making?

PS sorry about the neck joint pics I promised but all in one printer /scanner has gone for a burton

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back