Wooden batten for fixing curtain pole to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a wooden batten fixed above my window for fitting a curtain pole to, it was there when I moved in and it's shorter than the length I want my pole to be, so I thought I'd buy some wood of the same size to extend the length, the wood is 2cm X 4cm and I can't find anything that matches online..... It could be that I'm just not using the correct terms as, if I'm honest, I don't know what I'm doing! But I'm hoping to learn, and if anyone can help me on the right path I'd appreciate it!
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd buy some wood of the same size to extend the length, the wood is 2cm X 4cm and I can't find anything that matches online.....

You can always go to you local joiners shop and ask them to cut some to size - rather than extend (an extra piece at each end) measure the over all length so you can take the original down. Drill for screws matching the original hole fixings, that will avoid your drilling the wall, apart from maybe two extra fixings at the ends.

Harry's method is better, because if you joint onto an existing piece of timber the joint(s) will always be visible. But go to a few millimeters bigger, to 44 x 22mm (or ex- 2 x 1 in PAR) and you can buy stock, off the shelf material as that is a standard machined softwood section

Sponsored Links
Thank you all that's great, sadly I think the current wood is glued to the wall, hence the extension idea.....I know it could come off but I'm not in a position to replaster at the moment. Thank you for the link @CBW that does look right

Thank you all that's great, sadly I think the current wood is glued to the wall, hence the extension idea.....I know it could come off but I'm not in a position to replaster at the moment. Thank you for the link @CBW that does look right

I think you will find it is screwed into place, just that the screw heads are hidden by paint. Look closely or try a small metal detector to find the screws. Glueing will not usually be adequate for the weight of curtains.

I think you will find it is screwed into place, just that the screw heads are hidden by paint. Look closely or try a small metal detector to find the screws. Glueing will not usually be adequate for the weight of curtains.
Thank you! That makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back