Wooden door naturally bent - need draft exclusion ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear DIYNot members!

Our front door has naturally (over five years) developed a bend at its bottom corner.
upload_2021-11-7_19-40-6.png

I would like to put some draft excluder around that side, but I'm not 100% happy with the idea of only putting it along just the half of the door height (as the door won't close evenly).

What would you do?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
if the door is warped or twisted, the best you can do is add sufficient padding [draught excluder] to cause a slight compression to seal the gap without tightening the door operation so much as to hamper and restrict normal easy "click to close" operation ??

You can get EDPM strips which fit on the stops on the outside and the door closes against them, and you would adjust the fitting to the door face rather than rely on the normal compression strips fitted inside the frame.

Sponsored Links
You can get EDPM strips which fit on the stops on the outside and the door closes against them, and you would adjust the fitting to the door face rather than rely on the normal compression strips fitted inside the frame.

I am very interested in this, thank you! How is the fitting adjusted to the door face? Do you somehow adjust the strip itself?

They normally have adjusters to pull them in to eliminate gaps.

Thank you for the idea. Ours is a wooden door, and it's generally sitting in the right place. It's the warp that is causing the problem :(

if the door is warped or twisted, the best you can do is add sufficient padding [draught excluder] to cause a slight compression to seal the gap without tightening the door operation so much as to hamper and restrict normal easy "click to close" operation ??

Thank you. I think this is what we are going to do. I am curious to learn about the EDPM strips and how you adjust them...

Google Stormguard Qlon . There are other slightly different types, but the same principle

Does the door have a multi point locking system? I can see from your image that it looks like it may have another near the bottom of the door.

You can’t use any draught excluder that compresses to seal if the door does not a uniform gap.Book fold excluder is ideal for that type of gap.

Thank you for the idea. Ours is a wooden door, and it's generally sitting in the right place. It's the warp that is causing the problem :(

is it an actual panelled door, made with individual pieces of wood, morticed, tenoned and shaped to fit together?

Or is it an "engineeered" or composite door?

If the door has finished warping, I often pack out the frame with 2 pack filler so that it meets the door's profile.

It works.

On my current job, the 100 year old door still ran out by 5mm even after adjusting the hinges. I back filled the frame with 2 pack filler, taped 1mm cardboard to the face of the door (then put polythene over that), and then shut the door. The filler bulges out of the gaps accordingly. Wait a few minutes for the filler to harden slightly, open the door, trim the excess overspill before it hardens fully. The polythene does not stick to the 2 pack filler- meaning the door will not be "glued" shut.

I only used the cardboard on the hinge side, the other faces I just used the polythene. you can see a tiny amount of light leaking through the hinge side but none through the lock side.

I will try to find some photos. Am in the pub at the moment...

Does the door have a multi point locking system? I can see from your image that it looks like it may have another near the bottom of the door.
Yes, it does mave a multi-point locking system!

You can’t use any draught excluder that compresses to seal if the door does not a uniform gap. Book fold excluder is ideal for that type of gap.
Thank you for the idea. I have googled 'book fold excluder' but couldn't find anything. Could you please specify what I should go for?

is it an actual panelled door, made with individual pieces of wood, morticed, tenoned and shaped to fit together?

Or is it an "engineeered" or composite door?

I think it is the latter, as I can't see the individual pieces of wood!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back