Wooden floor cut round door frame rather than under

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm hoping some experts can help.

We're paying for a wooden floor to be fitted. It's costing £36 labour per square meter to fit (more than the wood cost!).

This is what the threshold to the bathroom looks like:-

20140509_070105_zpshj2z9ykg.jpg

Close ups of the bottom of the door frame:-

20140509_070112_zpstqwhj1e6.jpg
20140509_070116_zpszts7qvbj.jpg

I was a bit surprised as I thought they would cut the door frame and slide the wood underneath which I think would look better.

The builders are insisting that what I am suggesting is impossible, and that it is standard practise to do what they have done and then fill the gaps with filler, "that noboby will see when it's done".

Sponsored Links
I was a bit surprised as I thought they would cut the door frame and slide the wood underneath which I think would look better.

The builders are insisting that what I am suggesting is impossible, and that it is standard practise to do what they have done and then fill the gaps with filler, "that noboby will see when it's done".
That's absolutely rubbish, for the price you're paying it's unprofessional.

Also the the boards would've been better length way rather than across

Thanks Masona. That's really helpful.

Regarding the planks - the hallway goes through a 90° turn just out of shot. It is therefore a big "L" and for the long bit, the planks run the length of the hallway. I'm pretty happy (apart from three other doorways that look like the one in the photos, and their decision to use the worst plank in the batch for the very middle of the hallway!)

What you could do is to put skirting board where it's missing, yes fiddly but a nice finish which can be done, I've done it many times. If I can find my photo's of fiddly job, I'll upload them on here.

ps: just look at your photo again, you could just put a right angle 90 degree skirting then backfill the small section on top

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yeah, I think I know what you mean, and I agree. Something like this, right....

Untitled_zpsdae2d6d3.jpg

It's in 3 pieces when the rest is in single lengths and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Also, it's tight right at the threshold, where it would normally have a little expansion gap under the door frame.

Looks rough. 3 pieces of wood is unnecessary, and definitely should have been fitted under the frame, I always do it this way.

Labour sounds pretty high, I could lay a square metre of that in about 15 minutes I reckon,

Can't really see from the pictures . . . did they take the skirting off an refit it?

At £36/m I am doing the wrong job, laid 18m in our bedroom in half a day (all skirting off and under all 3 door casings).

£30 per square meter laid plus £10 per square meter to lacquer. All ex VAT.

So actually charging £48 per square meter.

That does include replacing the skirtings, and taking off 5 doors and sanding and rehanging.

So general consensus is that we should definitely be expecting the flooring to have been fitted under the doorframes and not cut around them?

For half of that labour cost I would expect it to go under the frame!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back