Wooden Garage Floor

• Thread starter roberta1000
  • Start date
R

roberta1000

My garage is about 70 years old, 20' x 28', timber floor which is 8" x 2" joists with 1" x 4" T&G cladding. There's a bit of rot now from leaks over the years (and 70-year-old untreated wood) and uneven because the floorboards are getting very warped. There's a cavity below varying from about 1' to 5' over the length and a sleeper wall along the centre.

I keep a couple of cars and a small workshop at the end (compressor, small lathe, multi-purpose woodworker machines). I'm thinking about redoing the timber floor. I did consider concrete but there's a lot to infill and anyway I prefer a wooden floor to stand on.

So I'm thinking about 8" x 2" joists at 400mm clad with 22mm green chipboard to get the same floor level more or less. Does this sound OK for the load of a car? Is there any point in insulating between the joists? (The garage is freestanding and unheated except for a gas blower when I'm working).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back