Wooden ladder bolts. How to take them apart?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. This is woodworking related so I hope it's ok placing this thread here.

I'm in the process of sanding down and tidying up an old decorators step ladder. It's all dry joints and screws so it's fairly straight forward.

However, the hinging mechanic is secured via 6 bolts. These appear to be riveted together , so cannot be taken apart. At least, that's what I suspect.. I thought I'd post here to see if there's a way to release these without destroying them? Perhaps they're meant to be taken apart via some way I'm not aware of?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As you say riveted, best leave in place and work around them.

Blup

If you really want to shift them, take the riveted head off with an angle grinder......maybe use a shouldered coach bolt as a replacement.
John :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't want to work around them as you'd just not get the same finish, plus there's a bit of a wobble with one, so I suspect it's slightly bent. So off they have to come! I'll replace with a mushroom head bolt and sleeve nut.

Sponsored Links
If they wobble the hole will have enlarge with use, replacement may need to be slightly larger , lock with domed nut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back