Worcester 24CDi Boiler - Hot water comes on intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can anyone please tell me why my water ignites intermittently. Some days I get hot water from the taps and other days it is cold and not firing up.

Is this a timing/setting thing? (I hope so). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying everything to rectify my hot water problem.

Thank you

Itsy

Sponsored Links
When heating is off, does the boiler make any noise when you turn on a hot tap?

Hi Agile and thank you for trying to help me with my hot water situation.

The current situation with my boiler is:

On manual (override) everything ignites (heating; flame; tap/water). YESSS! But my hot water is tepid, not hot, although the water temperature water is on Max. I let the tap run for a while and the water does not get hot!

On timer, again, everything ignites .... Brill :). Water is tepid.

My hot tap in the kitchen is running cold water and both flame and tap icon on my boiler do not ignite. Do you think an isolator has been turned off in error, not allowing hot water to run through to the kitchen?

Bar is: Red needle just past the number 1 and the Grey needle is at 1 1/2. Is this right? Do I need to adjust my pressure bar?

Thank you for your help and I look forward to your reply :)

With kind regards,

Tina

Likely to be a diverter issue, straightforward for those with experience of these models but still a hated repair job as it can be unpredictable in terms of time/parts.
Don't fiddle with the pressure, otherwise you're just adding to the problems.

Sponsored Links
What you have described does not seem logical.

Regardless you at going to have to call a boiler engineer or Worcester themselves.

Tony

I think they mean there is no response from the boiler if there is just a DHW demand but if the HTG is turned on they can get luke warm water if they open a tap....and that's typical of a partially failed diverter diaphragm.

That may well be the case Geoff.

Replacing a diverter valve on that model is one of my least favourite tasks.

Last one done by a trainee under my supervision took 105 minutes.

Primarily to teach him which jobs were not really worth doing.

Good candidate for a Worcester fixed price repair.

That may well be the case Geoff.

Replacing a diverter valve on that model is one of my least favourite tasks.

Last one done by a trainee under my supervision took 105 minutes.

Primarily to teach him which jobs were not really worth doing.

Good candidate for a Worcester fixed price repair.
so £84 per hour= £1.40/min calculate diversity factor for imaginary trainee under your supervision so bill is now £147 plus materials, Tony you talk absolute and utter crap

Ian how does your abuse help anyone? Particularly the OP ?

I think it reflects badly on your education and manners!

Ian how does your abuse help anyone? Particularly the OP ?

I think it reflects badly on your education and manners!
And exactly how did your advise help the OP ? so he now knows that your imaginary trainee took 105 minutes under your supervision, had you just said , that you would recommend a fixed price repair, then I would totally agree, but no it all has to be about you , it may come as a shock to you , but people come on here for advice, not to hear about your fetishes and imaginary friends that you have ,and the imaginary business that you claim to run on a bus and tube at imaginary prices, with imaginary equipment that no genuine gas engineer has never seen since they were apprentices, but then again some of us are time served Gas Engineers and not some wannabee

Not on these...thermistors are bulletproof, diverter first check :)

OP pop off the white clip on panel under the boiler. Look up at the big brass lump. On the RHS end you'll see a pin with a black disc on the end. See if it operates the microswitches when the taps opened.

And exactly how did your advise help the OP ? so he now knows that your imaginary trainee took 105 minutes under your supervision, had you just said , that you would recommend a fixed price repair, then I would totally agree, but no it all has to be about you , it may come as a shock to you , but people come on here for advice, not to hear about your fetishes and imaginary friends that you have ,and the imaginary business that you claim to run on a bus and tube at imaginary prices, with imaginary equipment that no genuine gas engineer has never seen since they were apprentices, but then again some of us are time served Gas Engineers and not some wannabee

I'd be expecting an apprentice to be thinking diaphragm before even opening the thread.

The op then goes on to describe the symptoms of a faulty diaphragm to a tee, yet to Tony this does not seem logical?

Go figure

Did over if these about a week ago in Henley,the man was over joyed and done in an hour
No apprentice or trainee,didn't even need to call the manufacturer for a fixed price repair because this is what I was trained for.
Telly Tony yet again digressing.Original poster needs to get someone in who is trained properly and not a man with a mid life crisis

Thank you all for your invaluable input (at least you kept the language clean :) ). I actually find conflict of opinion, educational as it opens a maze of corridors to investigate. I welcome all opinions :)

I have spent all morning on Google looking at what you kind gentlemen are describing, so I know what I am supposed to be looking at (I can now regulate my radiators, :) lol) and am learning a lot about Worcester 24cdi diverter valves.

I love the terminology brass 'lump' ;), I recognised it instantly :).

Please keep your solutions coming in as I am hoping I can rectify this without massive expense if it can be easily rectified by myself.

(Situation on boiler: tepid water in bathroom next to boiler. Ignites perfectly. Cold water and not firing up when kitchen tap is on!)

Thank you to you professionals. Your input is greatly appreciated :). Tina

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back