Worcester Bosch boiler – Remote control panel options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had Worcester Bosch boiler fitted last year and so far so good. The only thing I miss about our 20 year old Glowworm boiler with its recurring self destructing PCB capacitor issue was the Drayton LP722 programmer that was mounted on the wall beneath it. The programmer was great, battery backup, a dizzying array of options, a boost 1/2/3 hour function and most useful of all accessible.

The new boiler is in a kitchen cupboard so to access the control panel you have to open the cupboard door and then the flap on the boiler. First world problems I know but is there anything out there to make it more user friendly, as with this varying weather just popping the heating on outside of programmed time windows is a faff?

I’ve had a Google but the only things that seem to come up are these silly Nest/Hive/Wave things which connect my boiler to the internet. Lo and behold it may be the next best thing since the wheel/sliced bread but I simply don’t care.

Is there a remote panel available from WB or anyone else that can just act as either a remote additional panel so the control panel is accessible or alternatively an extension box/wiring kit to relocate the panel from the boiler to a wall?

Any advice appreciated.

Stanski

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ian,

The boiler was fitted a couple of years ago, so it's either a Junior, I, SI, cdi (if combi) or RI (Heat Only) I (System). All will work with a wireless programmable stat (for the heating only), unless I've forgotten of a WB Boiler manufactured in the last 5 years that doesn't.:p

Ian,

The boiler was fitted a couple of years ago, so it's either a Junior, I, SI, cdi (if combi) or RI (Heat Only) I (System). All will work with a wireless programmable stat (for the heating only), unless I've forgotten of a WB Boiler manufactured in the last 5 years that doesn't.:p
yes @MikeCip I agree but was asking because the OP previously had a 722 and it seems like they want another one but the new boiler might be a combi or a worcester with the built in diverter kit, and as for fitted last year I was at a job last week where the customer was adamant that their boiler was just over a year old, just a little over it was seven years old

Gas boilers today I think are all modulating type, there are some oil that don't, but think you would be hard pressed to find a gas boiler that does not, so fitting digital controls (off/on) can result in defeating the benefits from the analogue modulated output from the boiler. So still use a zone valve on a timer, but in the main not with a thermostat. And if a thermostat is fitted then it needs to be analogue to match the analogue output from boiler, with Bosch I believe this is called Wave? Many boilers are open therm enabled so have a lot more thermostats which can be used.

There is a case for the off/on thermostat to turn off boiler in warm weather to reduce it cycling, however they do not control boiler output, this is normally down to the thermostatic radiator valve (TRV) as unless in an open plan house, each room needs its own control. This is the problem with Wave, it in the main only controls temperature in one room, hope some one can say I'm wrong, as it seems silly to just control one room and cross your fingers others will be within wanted temperature.

I have fitted electronic TRV heads and yes they do work, to my mind having a TRV marked * 1 2 3 4 5 6 is stupid, I want it marked 20°C not get out some conversion chart to tell me 3.5 = 20°C. But the point is we have moved into the analogue age and we need to embrace it. Get rid of all our old digital stuff and the hysteresis it caused, and turn to analogue so rooms don't continually warm and cool but just stay at temperature set.

@ericmark means well but his answer to your post is completely irrelevant , if you want the correct advice you need to post your boiler model and set up

Sorry, it's a Greenstar 32CDI

I wasn't specifically after another 722 controller, it's just the functionality of the controller on the boiler seems bacward compared to the much older 722 unit. The main gripe is the fact it's physicaly on the front of the boiler and not out in the open where it is freely accessible.

Just post a pic of the control panel of your boiler, its like pulling teeth, if we dont know what you already have how can we advise you

Here's the front of the boiler:

Attachments

• 20190414_063541.jpg
    20190414_063541.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 293
Not a remote panel as such as your existing "panel" as you call it does a lot more than just turn the boiler on and off, but if you want any external control be it wired or RF or internet controlled then yes you can have anything you want

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back