Worcester controls & zoning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find a programmable thermostat control for our heating system which has two zones. The boiler is Worcester Highflow 550CDi.
I quite like the FR110 controller with load compensation. But...

Worcester says none of their controls are compatible with zones systems. I fail to understand why. Is this because they are low voltage and cannot drive the zone valves? Does anyone know?

Are there any other programmable thermostats with direct burner control load compensation? I can't find any...

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
zoning in small houses has limited benefits, for one the zones won't be thermally isolated, secondly a small zone can be much smaller than the minimum out put of the boiler, and thirdly if its a three bed house whats the point...every room gets used uniformly and if it doesn't just turn the TRV down.

its where anglosaxon unresearched attitudes meet european understanding... there are whole industries looking at these things, but sadly none in the UK...

I never said my house was small...
My question is not about whether zoning is pertinent, but about how to control it!

Sponsored Links
Then you would be better off using a manufacturer that supplied compensating controls and zone valves..,

They do exist, but the UK market is super simplified so that the manufacturers make money and you get a compromised heating system..

They do exist, but the UK market is super simplified so that the manufacturers make money and you get a compromised heating system..

That certainly is the way it looks.
Would you mind suggesting any manufacturers you have in mind?
Maybe even European, but non-UK ones?

Thanks.

viessmann using their mixing valves...speak to technical..

zoning can be applied on any of their 200 series boilers...and you can have centralised, even internet based, control...

its easy to do up to three zones, all set up with one outdoor sensor, or if you really want to spend more, you can have indoor feed back too...

My understanding is that Viessmann controls will not work with Worcester.
And since I cannot change the boiler without a huge expense, that's really not an option.
I just find it hard to believe that there is no third party controller that would do a simple thing of getting all the right bits into place!

Just use honeywell zone valves and honeywell programmable room thermostats. Each zone can then have it's own timer and stat and can fire the boiler independently of each other. You will need an engineer that knows what he's doing though.

I've looked at Honeywell controls, but I don't see any that would offer either weather or load compensation which is what I'm after.
Am I missing something?

Good for you.. to many of the public tolerate low technical standards..

I am not familiar with Bosch, but very au fait with Viessmann and vaillant, which are surprisingly similar

They work on the basis of one unmixed circuit and as many mixed circuits as you want with in reason, the mixing valves and controllers are all just plug and play on bus cables.

Bosch will have something similar, but Bosch is a very controlling and anal supplier, so you may have to tease it out if them..

There technical commercial guys will know about it, and they will only understand it for UFH, but you just run the mixed circuits at a curve lower than the main one.

However you may be getting into the need of a low loss header and quite substantial up grades of pipe work, in which case a new boiler and controls specced to the house and as you want becomes well with in your financial reach..

Sorry didn't read your first post fully. Alec is the man to ask about weather compensating controls.

well I make a point of only installing compensation controls.

It always helps if one understands the design philosophy behind any thing if you are going to use it, and that design philosophy doesn't travel from country of origin to the UK very well, if at all.

Compensation control match heat output of the boiler to heat demanded by the house, to maintain a stable room temperature, which is more comfortable. in variable this means settling down with a flow temperature at around 35-45c, when the boiler is approaching optimum efficiency.

Zoning with compensation controls does exist, but to make it work with two independent zones is expensive and has dubious merit, on such a small boiler 30kws. Much better to turn the TRVs down in the little used rooms. A 30kw house you want warm all over as most rooms are used every day...

I just find it hard to believe that there is no third party controller that would do a simple thing of getting all the right bits into place!

there are many in the commercial market, have been for decades, but as alec pointed out, they cost

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back