Worcester Heatslave 12/14 B9 Burner - locks out straight away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if anyone can help?

I have a B9 burner unit that locks out straight away, (just a faint hum from the unit then orange light comes on ) if I take the burner out and take cover off motor and spin with a srewdriver put burner back in it will fire up as normal.

When I turn the motor fan through the inspection cover it feels a bit notchy on the turn there fore was wondering if this is normal?
Is it more likey to be the Motor or oil bump at fault? Or could it still be the capacitor having an intermittent fault?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Without taking the oil pump off, you cannot get a feel for the fault. It soundslike you've changed the capacitor. If so, then it iseither a sticky oil pump or a flat spot on the motor.

Thanks for your replies Oilhead and Oilboffin, appreciated. The capacitor was changed about 18 months ago so could be faulty again.

I wonder if a faulty capacitor could cause this issue as its intermittent or is once a capacitor fails it fails?
Im not that confident in taking the pump off, just wanted to get an idea of possible causes and costs involved before calling out an engineer.

Cheers chaps, I appreciate your input :)

Sponsored Links
All possible causes can be intermittent. A capacitor may not fail completely. A motor does not always stop in the same place, and an obstruction in the fuel pump can move around.

A nice easy motor to test on the bench, if you feel so bold! The motor should spin up immediately, and another test is to hold the motor spindle whilst someone else turns the thing on.
Check the capacitor for yellowing or bulging - although this isn't a fail safe test, of course.
One little thing concerning the B9B and others - you'll notice the oil pump is held in place by 3 grub screws......if they are tightened unevenly it can push the pump out of alignment which makes the burner difficult to spin up on start.
Turning the oil pump by hand should be pretty easy with no hard spots.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back