Worcester Junior 24i - overflow pipe (?) dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler had had a stuck pressure gauge for a while now, but otherwise had been working fine. It's a rented property and I had reported it, but it seems they hadn't deemed it important enough to repair. Meanwhile I bought a new pressure gauge myself, thinking that maybe they were an easy clip off/clip on job. Obviously they aren't! :)

So, the other day the boiler stops working and the plumber finally shows up. He puts it down to the pressure switch not working, as when he bypassed it, it all worked. So he fixes that, and also replaces the pressure gauge with the one I had bought a while back. I'd sourced it from a reputable dealer online.

The trouble now is, that the pressure keeps seeming to drop below 1 on the gauge. At first I figured there was air in the system as he needed to drain it to fit the new gauge, which he seemed to do by just manipulating something inside at the back of the boiler (there is a drain plug there I guess?)

The system is working fine, and if I top up the system to get the pressure to a normal level (I usually set it to about 1 1/2....then as long as the central heating isn't being used, the pressure stays ok, and no leaks from that small pipe outside. But as soon as the heating is on, the pipe outside starts dripping water, the gauge stays ok, but as soon as the heating goes off, the dripping carries on until the gauge drops below 1.

I know I just need to call him out again to have a look at it, but I'm curious if there is maybe a valve he didn't quite tighten after draining the water, that is easily reachable on the pipes all coming from under the combi? Or maybe is the pressure gauge not showing the correct pressure for some reason and I have over filled it by mistake and it is simply getting rid of excess water in the system?

Thanks for any advice. Just curious really as its Sunday and I don't want to disturb him when it isn't really an emergency. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks man. I am guessing actually that a lot of the boilers here need a good service, as I noticed when checking my over flow pipe (is that actually what it is?) that the girls upstairs one is almost like a running tap! Thanks buddy, and stay safe :)

Sponsored Links
No probs mate , the vessel is a component that would usually be checked on a service but deffo should of been looked at when your guy replaced the pressure gauge . Just let him know about it and arrange for him to come back . I wouldn’t say it would need looking at ASAP but I certainly wouldn’t leave it too long

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back