1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Working as roofers dogsbody to reduce costs - what £ reduction?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by oranjeboom, 8 Feb 2016.

1. oranjeboom

oranjeboom

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Got a roofing company to re-tile my roof in the southeast. I'm already stripping the old concrete tiles (saving a few £££). I am now also proposing to work as their dogsbody getting the new tiles and battens onto the scaffolding and then assisting where I am needed on the roof. I was thinking of £5/hr minimum as that's what yer average apprentice would get. Or is that way to low even for a roofing grunt?

I'm not currently employed so I think I may as well get involved / keep an eye on the job.

Should I be 'charging' more?

TIA

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mikefromlondon

Mikefromlondon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You should expect what a day labourer would charge like in London areas it is around depending on your experience on roofing work taking into consideration
    you could be a liability to the company if you were allowed to use their climbing gear and scaffolding.
    But around £60 to £100 per day. And for this expect to work like a horse and not as a donkey!

4. Mw Roofline

Mw Roofline

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We had a customer help our lads once. Never ever again is all I'll say. Lads wanted to throw him off the scaff!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Aye more of a hindrance than a help I'd imagine.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mikefromlondon

Mikefromlondon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    in which case he may have to pay his roofers to let him up!

7. chappers

chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Indeed, the reality is that the roofers labourer, probably does a lot more than just shifting stuff about and if your not up to speed it could be more of a hindrance.

8. oranjeboom

oranjeboom

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well - anything they need helping with. The scaff is mine so no cost to them. Last roofing job a few years ago, the roofer didn't know much about proper install of roof lights or dry verge systems, so glad I was on the roof to assist him. He may have seen me as a hinderance, but at least I was assured that these items had been installed properlike.

9. chappers

chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well you can but ask, he may prefer to use his own labourer though.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    my thoughs
    you supply constant tea coffee and bacon sarnies will be worth £5 an hour if you dont keep asking questions
    taking time to instruct and direct you will cost far more than a labourer who will act 90% automaticaly and 5% on command unlike you who will need constant attention and slow the job down

12. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would imagine that a majority of roofing gangs wouldn't want the customer on the scaffold, even if he were a roofer himself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. oranjeboom

oranjeboom

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your replies.

Roofing Co is happy for me to assist and reduce overall quote. I'll let you know how I get on - if I don't get thrown off the scaffold!

14. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  15. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Gerald is right, Insurance may prevent them from allowing you to assist them.....

16. SmileyT

SmileyT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    TBH I would be reluctant to have you on the scaffolding with us while we are working. I would probably suggest you load the scaffolding ready for the next day / remove at the end of it but then stick to the tea and sarnies. That way insurance isn't an issue as it's your scaffolding and you won't be up there whilst the contractor is. Remember that you could be a health risk to them as well as vice-versa so I'd advise against it unless you have some real roofing experience.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mikefromlondon

Mikefromlondon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes but he is helping himself and not them by taking down his old roof, getting it all prepared and ready for them to start laying new roof, etc, and in return for this they will reduce his quote, he won't necessarily be coming in their way, or them tripping him off the scaffolding, yes he will be welcome to climb up his own scaffold to hand them teas and bacon sarnies. On that pretext he can keep an eye on quality control too from the corner of his eye!
    I just hope they will turn up when they said they would, and keep fingers crossed we live in UK where the weather is as unpredictable as roofers turning up on time.

Sponsored Links