Working out a overhand on porch roof so wverything fits right?

I’ve not done much today due to rain and hail but here’s my revised ladder:
62D6EE17-10CB-41D7-AAEA-3FCBBE7B00D2.jpeg

2A011F23-7044-4F78-9C9A-48E0EDDC766D.jpeg

Almost dead center on the upvc frame.

I want to work out my tile headlamps now. I was thinking to fix the highest battens on, then the lowest then calculate the rest from there?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Headlamps :LOL::LOL:

Going to crack on tomorow. I was just offering up a fascia then realised I have no soffits, it’s only an inch gap but it needs it.

And do I need to fill this gap or will the eaves sheet be enough?

76D7A82C-504D-4064-8828-B2755787F72A.jpeg

Between the underside of the fascia and the wall? Thin fascia offcuts maybe? Fixed to batten off wall plate? Guess the eaves tray will cover it but that’s on the top side of the fascia... May have misunderstood the Q

Between the fascia and the rafter:

D2CB9DC4-4BEE-4C36-9D2B-55FA1CE66BEF.jpeg

The rafter off cuts could fit in there if I needed anything

Don’t believe so, but check the spec of the tray incase it mentions support/rafter spacing? On mine it was fine. Guess it wouldn’t do any harm though to provide a bit of extra support if it’s easy to do

I’ve been snowed off!!!!

But the fascia looks ok and the soffit finishes just above the trickle vent
E46182B8-7EB3-4643-9F7F-767D604C014D.jpeg

Quick question about nailing.

I sat some tiles on last night to protect my felt from the hail and snow. I got thinking about nailing and is there any point in nailing them when even a very strong wind won’t shift them.

Do they need nailing?

5006ADAA-D2AC-4953-8963-780ECE2328CD.jpeg

Yes, nail them. They should be fine but no point risking it.

Oh and just in case you never noticed there is 3 broken tails on those tiles.

I thought the same about nailing mine (much bigger area) but once you get going you’ll be glad you did, takes a few seconds per tile and is nice and satisfying, makes for a solid job. Not the end of the world if you need to lift em later either

Yes, nail them. They should be fine but no point risking it.

Oh and just in case you never noticed there is 3 broken tails on those tiles.

Ok thanks, will nail them.

Those tiles are all leftovers from the main roof, I got another 20 yesterday so I can swap the broken ones.

My last questions are about fixing the ridge tiles and doing the Lead.

Should I mortar the ridge tiles or should I be looking at a dry ridge kit? The ridge is just under 1.5mtrs.

And the Lead, I have no clue. I know I would want to use a couple of pieces on either side to stop it tearing but i’m not sure how to finish it over the tiles or into the wall. Any tips?

I used dry ridge, loved it -easy. But mortared will be cheaper for you and you’re probably handy with a trowel so can make a nice job of it.
Flashing - dress it over the tile and either chase it into the wall with a cut out line parallel with the roof or do step flashing. (Google/ask the pros on here for the step flashing, I’ve never done it).

I like the step flashing so will have a google of that (y)

Dry ridge kits all look to be 5mtr but I might ask the guys in Eurocell if they do any smaller lengths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back