Working out a overhand on porch roof so wverything fits right?

Ian just let the batons fly over by 6" for now and trim them to suit when you start tiling. Why are you using large format
tiles when your roof is clay plain tiles?

The main roof is Old English double Romans’, just the bay has the old style rosemarys.

Sponsored Links
yeah agree trim battens back later. Only other thing I’d say was don’t think you need the metal clips if it’s new battens, I didn’t use em

Whats going to happen with the soffit and fascia above that window? Looks like it will be too low.

Whats going to happen with the soffit and fascia above that window? Looks like it will be too low.

I’m not sure yet.

I could either put a 2x2 on top of each rafter or raise the front edge of the first tile or both. I’ve got some plastic eaves trays but have t looked too much into how I fit them yet, they must have a doubled up batten below them.

Sponsored Links
Guess you could have a massive kick up on the last couple of courses of tiles by using furrings ? And the worlds shallowest fascia .... or like you say raise the whole lot up and live with the deeper bargeboard (still with the worlds shallowest fascia)

I could cover a bit of the frame too, the fascia will be the same colour and finish as the frames. The trickle vents could be behind the fascia as long as the air can get in and out.

How would I kick up the tiles? I’ve been and got some more 6x2 wood for another rafter, some 6mm ply and the plastic eaves sheets.

Last edited:
How would I kick up the tiles? I’ve been and got some more 6x2 wood for another rafter, some 6mm ply and the plastic eaves sheets.

If it's just the bottom row to kick up, then just set the fascia at whatever height that kicks the tile up. If its some rows above it too, then furrings/counter battens/another little rafter sistered up at a lower angle? Gotta say, it's not really ideal I guess and might not give the look you want, it's just an idea. Raising the whole lot, may be the lesser of the 2 evils to be honest (or some other option that someone may come along with) - can you maybe mock something up so you can see how it's gonna look? don't wanna ruin your cracking work with silly suggestions - just can't think of any better ones right now (n)(y)

I can’t really raise it because of the upvc triangle bit, that sort of commands everything else. I should have got that 100mm taller.

I meant raise the tiles by battening the top of all the rafters, the whole length of the rafter. Maybe I’m missing something from the pics but I can’t really see a problem with doing that, other than a bit of a deeper barge board. It may well look better than eaves kicked up. Or, do a bit of both

I meant raise the tiles by battening the top of all the rafters, the whole length of the rafter. Maybe I’m missing something from the pics but I can’t really see a problem with doing that, other than a bit of a deeper barge board. It may well look better than eaves kicked up. Or, do a bit of both

I need another 75mm to get a 150mm fascia on there.

I have the Eurocell ones on the house, £60 for 5 mtrs and I need 6 mtrs :(

The fascia depth doesn’t actually need to be 150 though, does it? Can’t you do a mega slim one just big enough for the gutter? By cutting down to size. Then less messing with the tile height.
Jeez, that’s expensive, because of the colour? Never paid anywhere near that at eurocell but always bought white.

I just got them, got the 200mm ones to cut down, £85 in real life, £120 on the website.

All ready to roll on Saturday :)

I would suggest you get some rough sawn 6x1" and fix it to the front of the wall plate ie. a wooden fascia board and then you can move it up and down when you try offering your tiles up to sit on it. I would think you can get it to sit 60mm above the rafters. you can also make it catch the bottom of the gable ladder for a bit more strength, and when you are happy with the setting out you can over clad with the pvc.

Good advice, thanks :). I’ll post some pictures of my progress.

Once i’ve done the bottom row, should I nail on the top batten then work out my spacing? The rafters are 36degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back