Working out lighting challenges with light bulbs in rooms - lighting experts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I either under light or over light. I have a L shaped kitchen (west facing) on the main bit over the cooker/sink currently has 3 leds (which are a designer brand nightmare as cant get the bulbs to fit) and 2 LEDs on the entrance bit. Its too dark. I have too many dark spots not sure if not helped by using spots. There are no lights under the counter either.

I cant use white fittings as sadly attracts flies and fly poo. Only option is brushed chrome and timber. I want something that looks classy, not too ikea-ish and not dated. Something quality over some that are so cheap Im not sure how robust they are.

Is it better to go for old fashioned bulb fitting set - if so how many bulbs? Using LEDs would 4 bulbs improve it a lot and 3 over the other side. I also spend a lot of time in the kitchen so the light needs to be perfect and not overpowering.

I find this a minefield I can of course incorporate a dimmer switch.

Sponsored Links
Too little info ? No dimensions? Any pics ? lights attract flies regardless of trim ( find that comment quite frankly laughable).Designer brand or not bulbs are standard and available.No lights under counter ? What point would there be in have lights there other than decoration? Or did you mean under upper cups ( over counter).

Too little info ? No dimensions? Any pics ? lights attract flies regardless of trim ( find that comment quite frankly laughable).Designer brand or not bulbs are standard and available.No lights under counter ? What point would there be in have lights there other than decoration? Or did you mean under upper cups ( over counter).

Hello whats with the condescending attitude ? I live on a farm the flies are attracted to shiny white coverings in the day hence why I try to avoid it on accessories as they leave fly poo dots and its a nightmare to remove. "laughable" it is not thankyou when you have to scrub the hell out of them hence why I don't want to replace with white.

Yes Under cabinet lights that's what they are called isn't it in the kitchen?

Yes I bought these spot lights that the shape is quite unique and standard GU10s also varies in size - depths didn't you know? So unless you buy them branded you cant get them to fit so they need to go. I have spent many visits to the local lighting wholesale trying to find the right ones to slot in. Now they are balancing in there as too long. My mistake I didn't know at the time. Wish I never mentioned it now....crikey

No need for photos Im just wondering if anyone knows about lighting and getting the right amount in a kitchen. Are LEDs the same or traditional bulbs better with shadowing? Its a west facing kitchen standard ceiling height. That section is 3m x 4m and slightly smaller on the door section.

Sponsored Links
Yes Under cabinet lights that's what they are called isn't it in the kitchen?

Yes but you said under counter, which would be worktop.

With little information provided accurate info will be impossible, you will end up chasing your tail.

Older style downlights do tend to have a much narrower beam than modern equivalent LED downlights, especially when compared to integrated LED's. I always tend to use these from Screwfix: 7046T, they are fire rated, IP65, well made, easy push in connectors and have removeable bezels which come in a few different colours. Obviously you need to check what depth you have above your ceiling before choosing a light. For a 3m x 4m kitchen I would have thought 8 to 10 LED's, but that's just me. Maybe post on the Electrics forum and see what they suggest.

Be very suprised if any fitting designer or otherwise has a lamp that you cant get. More likely just not a popular one any more. Some in fact many wholesalers have poor staff with little to zero knowledge. Let us know what the fitting is and lamp by picture or details

I love under cabinet lighting. It makes working on them much more pleasant and allows you to get a lot of light in without much effort.

LED stick on strips are good for that. You can get a cheap and nasty £15 strip, give it a go and if you like it replace it with a better quality IP6* version and maybe throw in some smart features. I swapped out a fluorescent tube for spots in a previous kitchen and hated the shadowed effect I got as a result. The under cabinet lights,,with a motion sensor, made it so much nicer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back